4.3 Starter Wiring whats wrong?!? - with diagram*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scag

Seaman Apprentice
Back Story -
1. Got stranded in middle of the lake - had to be towed in. Starter sounded like it was barely moving...after a while, all i got was the Audible warning and a click.
2. tested with multimeter - test says bad starter, not wiring - had it rebuilt, shop confirmed it was the starter.

Where i'm at now -
1. Put new one back on, then realized I had forgotten to take a pic of how the original wires went on. Looked online for pics and didnt find a clear example that looked like what I have going on. Here is what I see:

I'm wondering where to put the positive coming right off the battery. All the other wires are on their posts (A, B, and D) but post C only has the jump thats going from the solenoid to the starter. I first tried putting the positive coming right off the battery onto post A, as many diagrams on the net showed...but when I tried it out, I only got an audible warning and a click. The next thing I tried was moving the positive right off the battery onto post C, but when I tried to put the other end on the battery, got a big spark....

4ea1e92f.jpg

I haven't ruled out that its not the starter, but something else preventing the starter from even trying to turn (getting anything beyond a click), but I dont know where to start since the test I did with the multimeter indicated that the starter was getting the proper amound of volts and both batteries i've tried are good batteries.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4.3 Starter Wiring whats wrong?!? - with diagram*

main battery cable goes to "A"

cr2k

Captain

Yuup! and the yellow goes cloest to block.

Your diagram is right. Something else must be wrong.

Scag

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the confirmation guys.

Anyone got any ideas where to go now? All I have is the audible warning and a click. Starter, compelely rebuilt including new solenoid. Good Batteries and Good voltage.

Why is the audible sounding? What is that telling me?

Thanks in advance!

Scag

Seaman Apprentice

Well its fixed! I went back, despite the voltages being good, tightened everything down and it fired right up.

The audible was sounding because the gear oil was an inch lower than the add line. Disconnected the wire going to the sensor at the bottom of the monitor bottle and the alarm went away. Filled monitor bottle, reconnected and was good. Doing complete gear oil change this afternoon.

Thanks for the help everyone. You guys made my weekend much more enjoyable!

Status
Not open for further replies.