Starter Solenoid for 1988 i/0 4.3 Mercruiser

Bobbybones

Cadet
I turned the key to start the engine and it started turning and would not stop until I turned the Battery Off.
Even after disconnecting the ignition switch, as soon as battery was turned on the engine would start turning over.

I replaced the starter and it worked great for one day. Next day same problem. As soon as I turned the ignition the engine started turning over and would not stop until I turned off battery.Can I be so unlucky as to have purchased a defective starter or it there something else I overlooked, and possibly replaced a good starter?

Any help greatly appreciated
Thanx

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter Solenoid for 1988 i/0 4.3 Mercruiser

Have you checked the slave solenoid.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well that could either be a solenoid or an ignition switch.

You can test the leads at the solenoid I would disconnect the lead to the starter first, then the one large one should have power all the time, the rest should only have power when you turn the switch to the start position. If you have power to both large and none to the small ones, then you have a bad solenoid. If you have power to the small start post, then you have a bad switch. I hope I said that correctly. I could jump in the boat any time with a meter and do it, but trying to explain how to do it in a message is another thing entirely.

Bobbybones

Cadet

Thanx for the replies. Never heard of a slave solenoid, until yesterday that is, and that was the problem. $20 for the slave solenoid, should have checked here first. But one less thing to worry about, for the time being. A big sigh of relief when I turned battery on and engine wasn't cranking until I turned the ignition key. All is well in the world

Thanx again.
Taking boat for test spin today.
Bones

Bones