1978 mercruiser 305ci i/o very poor performance and losing spark when warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

cori8891

Recruit
hello first timer here. I have a 1978 cruisers 20 foot beachcomber with a 198hp chevy 305. my problem is this boat since I bout it last year would not get on plane, just bogged and eventually got there but had no power to spare. would get out and troll for a while at idle then sometimes on the way back in the boat just took off and jumped on plane as it should, and then would slowly lose power and bring me back in at a blistering 8mph, also when the boat was turned off it would not start again, just cranked and cranked and seemed to start when I let off the key. tried a new coil this year and fuel water sep but still the exact same thing, the engine has a mallory dist with electronic ignition and the timing is at 8 degrees. last week I went on the lake to do some fishing and it dogged out as normal and then during trolling just up and died. checked for spark with an inline spark tester and had none.. about ten minutes later engine started right up and then died when idled down and then again no start.. another ten minutes starts and stays running but has no power and can hear a lot of missing and then moments where it wanted to run right and then back to missing, after reaching the harbor throttled back and it ran smooth at low speed. someone please direct me to a soulution. as in other posts here this boat runs flawlessly on the muffs and compression is all good. no water in fuel, 2bbl carb, choke is correctly set. please help. thank you

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1978 mercruiser 305ci i/o very poor performance and losing spark when warm

Did the distributor once have points in it and is now converted to electronic ignition? If so you may be having trouble with the resister wire which was used with points.

cori8891

Recruit
Re: 1978 mercruiser 305ci i/o very poor performance and losing spark when warm

the distributer does not have points and is running electronic ignition. tried a jumper wire from ignition straight to the + of coil and seemed to run better and had 14 volts at coil when running. took it on the water and no differance still sluggish and then shortly after died and lost and regained spark after sitting again. is it possible the pickup in the distributer is bad or do they either work or dont. I also pulled the plugs after this last run and they looked clean, checked that the timing is advancing and it is. also this time out it ran a little hotter than the normal 160 more like 180-190 range. distributer is clean, rotor good and wires are like new. is there a differance between marine and auto wires. thank you

Iboater1959

Recruit
I had the 198 Mercruiser in a 1978 SeaRay 22' Cuddy. Excellent boat and economical. Converted from points to electronic ignition. Always ran great.

Status
Not open for further replies.