Trim stuck up

Chobes

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, Thank you in advance for your responses!

1986 16' Sea Ray MCM I/O 140 4cyl. 181 CID S/N A394995
MerCarb 2bbl (1 idle adjustment screw)
Block S/N 2770087 2 85
Alpha 1 Gen1 Out Drive S?N A530190

History, This boat sank last year. just the transom was under water for about an hour. I got the motor running beautifully! Now i need to get the trim working. The outdrive is stuck I believe all the way up.
When i press the trim buttons i get nothing, not even a clilck! I tried jumping the solonoid by touching the two big posts together and just get a spark on both the up and down solonoids..

The fliud appears to be low. just a little on the very bottom of the dip stick! (will the trim pump stop running if the fluid is low?).

Also, there are two black wires that got to some trim sensor on the starboard side of outdrive. They are broken. and there is another sensor on the Port side of outdrive what is it? another trim sender??

Any help you can offer is greatly appericated. Maybe a wiring schematic and voltages i should see and the contact points?

One last thing, when i do press the trim buttons I do not even see a power draw on the dash lights.

Chobes

Chobes

Seaman Apprentice
Well the culprate was the metal slotted coupler between the motor and the pump. It broke, so just the motor was spinning.

Bondo

Staff member
Well the culprate was the metal slotted coupler between the motor and the pump. It broke, so just the motor was spinning.

Ayuh,.... Glad ya found the problem,.....

On a side note, when ya trim/ tilt it Full up, 'n ya hear the motor labor,.....
You should tap the down button a couple of times, just to unload the over-loaded valvin',.....

Obviously not in yer case,...
But many times after sittin' awhile, havin' a "Heavy" friend Jump on the drive, while the trim is runnin' down, is enough to get it workin' again,....