Oil Capacity 92 3.0L Mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently cahnged the oil on my 1992 3.0L Mercruiser. I pumped all the oil out with a Tempo Oil boy Extracter. It seemed like I got almost 5 qts out of it and this confuses me due to the fact that the manuals say that the 3.0L crankcase oil capacity with a new empty oil filter is 4 qts???? I bought a gallon of oil and it seems that it is still low. Is it possible that it takes more or did I just not wait long enough after running it after the oil change to let the oil go back to the pan???? Help Please :confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oil Capacity 92 3.0L Mercruiser

Reguardless of what the manual says,..........<br />I Always buy 5qts. of oil for an oil change.......<br /><br />I believe you're always Better Off, a Pint to High, than a Qt. Low.............<br /><br />I'd Top It Off........ Believe the DipStick,... Not the Book......... ;)

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the dipstick marks are based on the engine being level.. if the engine isnt level the dipstick reading will be inaccurate.. two or three minutes should be enough time for it to run back into the sump after being run..<br /><br />after the initial fill the level will drop a little as the filter fills up.. a certain amount of oil stays put in the filter and dosnt go back to the sump..<br /><br />i cant see much point in overfilling just cos u have bought too much.. just keep it for topping up if the level drops.. <br /><br />not as a bit either way matters that much..<br /><br />trog100

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks trog...I am actually short. I bought the gallon of quicksilver 25-40 which brings me to another question????<br />The crankcase cap on my engine says Sae 10w-30. <br />I was always under the impression you should use 25w-40? Which is right? I don't want to start another crazy oil thread but I had to ask that one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's a GM oil cap (Automotive), not Mercruiser Marine. Stick with the oil recommendations of Merc and you can't go wrong.<br />How much "Short" are you when you put in 4 quarts?<br />The manual also says to use the dipstick to determine the exact amount.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

I imagine I am a quart low. I also just realized that I am not completely sure that I have the boat level. Would it be better to try to level it on the cement or as the boat sits in the water. <br /><br />So 25W-40 is the right oil right?

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

mine sits way out in the water.. the cement would be easier.. get it to the dipstick line when level.. ignore what it reads in the water if its way off level.. or better still see how much it changes from when level and kinda use that as your correct topping up point if u ever top up when the boat is in the water....<br /><br />trog100

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

You guys are great <br />Thanks again!

tommays

Admiral

its a 5 quart change its a BIG oil filter on a littel motor<br /><br />tommays

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use 5qt on my 3.0L mercruiser. It with a quicksilver oil filter.

novasseville

Cadet
Re: Sea Ray Seville mercruiser 3.0

Hi to all , I'm new to the boating community , and I just bought a sea ray seville 1986 really nice and clean , put the boat in the water twice already ,and no problems until yesterday after I came from the beach and drain the boat and check the oil , it was kind of milky brown , I did an oil drain today , put around 5 quarts , new filter and the boat doesn't want to start , any ideas, and also tied up the cover for the engine screws seen to be loosse

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Best to start a new thread with your question, don't just tack onto someone elses 5 year old post and expect anyone to see. it.

Status
Not open for further replies.