Starting problems 1989 Mercrusier 350

Dan1103

Cadet
Hi all, I have a 1989 Rinker 230 Festiva with a Mercruiser 350. The problem I'm having is when I start the engine. I've replaced the bad battery and after it's fully charged and I disconnect the charger the boat starts fine. I went out cruising for an hour or so and returned to dock, turning off the engine. I went to start it again and a grinding/spining noise came from the engine. The engine was not turning over and it did not sould like a dead or low battery issue, with the starter just "clicking". I hooked up the 55/10/2 amp charger and set it on the start setting, 55 amp, and the engine started right up. The alternator was replaced last year, prior to me purchasing the boat. When I check to see the voltage on the battery while running, it shows 13 volts. I also checked to see if the volts increase as I increase the RPM, but the volts stay steady at 13. Also, starter solenoid was replaced last year. Is this just a poor/rusting wire connection on the starter that is by-passed when I hook up the 55 amp charger to start it or something else? Thanks in advance for any help!

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Starting problems 1989 Mercrusier 350

Is this just a poor/rusting wire connection on the starter that is by-passed when I hook up the 55 amp charger to start it or something else? Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to Iboats.

I would start by cleaning the battery cable connections at the starter, the ground, and the battery it's self. If you are clamping the cables from the battery charger directly to the lead battery connections on the battery cable, you may be eliminating the possibly corroded connections between the battery post and the cable. In other words, if the battery post to the battery cable has corrosion, it may not be supplying enough amperage to get the starter to engage correctly, and adding the amperage from the charger is making up the difference.

Dan1103

Cadet
Re: Starting problems 1989 Mercrusier 350

Thanks for the advice! Loose power cables on the starter solenoid were the problem. I found the treads on the end of the main terminal bolt on the starter solenoid were stripped. New bolt and the boat starts great, time for some fishing!