Using Permatex gasket maker for exhaust riser? and using exhaust hose as a coupler?

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm curious as to using permatex exhaust manifold gasket maker for the exhaust riser, would I still need to use that steel plate? or just put the gasket maker down and then throw the riser on? Ive used it before with exhaust manifolds on cars without any problems, but what your advice before using it with a marine application. What is the purpose of having a steel plate sandwiched between two gaskets anyways? Also, the couplers for the exhaust rise to the Y-piper are a good $50, is there any harm in using exhaust hose?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Using Permatex gasket maker for exhaust riser? and using exhaust hose as a couple

Howdy,

If the steel plate is a block-off plate (I.E. it prevents coolant from getting into the riser........meaning you have closed cooling) THEN you NEED it!

If you use the newest "silvery" type riser gaskets, you do not need (and should not use) any sort of gasket sealant.

I wouldn't use Permatex IN PLACE of any gasket on an exhaust manifold/riser connection. Do that and you're asking for a new engine.......

Ive used it before with exhaust manifolds on cars without any problems
But if you did have a problem it would just be a simple exhaust leak. A "problem" on a jacked marine exhaust, can be (and usually is) a water leak into the exhaust resulting in a rusty cyl next Spring! (and an engine rebuild)

Just put it back together IAW(*) the OMC service manual.

Regards,

Rick

* In Accordance With

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Using Permatex gasket maker for exhaust riser? and using exhaust hose as a couple

Well its an open cooling system, so I dont see what it matters if water from the exhaust and water from the cooling mixes, but alright, I suppose I'll spend the $40 on gaskets. Any suggestions as to if an exhaust tube will work fine

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well its an open cooling system, so I dont see what it matters if water from the exhaust and water from the cooling mixes,

Well, it does mix. right at the "low" spot in the riser (exit) You don't want it to mix prior to that or it would run right back into the exhaust port when you shut down. (because on one or more cyls an exhaust valve is open at any given time when the engine stops turning.)

You need to use the "right" riser-manifold gasket because a leak would allow that described above....

Any suggestions as to if an exhaust tube will work fine

If you mean the exhaust tube that Mercury offers to use in place of the exhaust bellows, yes. they work just fine and they're far easier than the bellows to install....

It might be more helpful if you reveal what we're talking about. There's a LOT of differences in engines, exhaust, risers, etc out there in radio land!!

eldplanko

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also, the couplers for the exhaust rise to the Y-piper are a good $50, is there any harm in using exhaust hose?

He's talking about the other "exhaust belllow" that connects the riser to the Y-pipe...

I've thought about this myself but haven't tried it. 3" Marine garde exhauset hose is pretty expensive stuff (though cheaper than the bellows), and might not seal correctly on the ends. I know Trident makes various versions of these bellows in rubber, silicon and high temp silicon. I think they're about the same price (or more) as the Merc part.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would really help to know what we are working on, instead of guessing.

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is for my Nova with the 233

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I have my boat model in my signature, and it was a very generalized question so I didnt put any of the specs in the posts like I usually do whenever I have a technical engine/drive question...for future reference I will even put all the engine specs in my signature....there done lol