OMG...Alternator Belt keeps breaking... on Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha Sterndrive

I keep breaking alternator belt now ....almost every time I go out...and was raising the motor mount via a bottle jack....to slide new belt on..but Thanks for the picture of the spacer block.. with only2 bolts its now easy to change the belt.. and no need to raise the engine at all. I checked my engine and the spacer is there and easily slid out after just taking out 2 easy bolts...makes changing the belt a breeze, even on the water.

My belts kept breaking and thin on the break side and thick new on the other side..so I am summizing that it was stretched too tight. I was told to retighten the belt when new..due to expansion..when it seemed loose. Maybe that was weakening the belt worse. I checked the alignment of the 3 pullies..and they seem ok and straight... and not too much rust so I'm thinkin when I replaced belts a while ago...and had trouble ever since..the replacement belts were not wide enough at the V section..So, I'm checkin that next tomorrow when I go to find new belts. ALSO...*** I read all over on forums...that the belts dont matter if marine or auto...as long as they are the right size.....ANY FEEDBACK would be appreciated....Angel

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMG...Alternator Belt keeps breaking... on Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha Sterndrive

Sounds like you have rusty pulleys. That rust eats belts like a grinding wheel.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Besides what Don said does your alternator have a tight spot in the bearing? While cleaning up you pullies double check !!!

PROBLEM SOLVED! I got a longer belt ( 40" V belt. THE GATES BELT FROM NAPA, was a tiny bit wider and rests on the pulley better) I had been using 38 3/4" belt from Autozone...that was part of the problem I think. ALSO, I used a steel brush to brush the pullies good and spray painted the pulleys with rustoleum. Now I easily put on the right size belt without the need for stretching! Tightened it up - only a little. NOW, THE ENGINE RUNS GREAT AND THE BELT DOESNT GET LOOSE, SQUEAK, OR BREAK!...YAHOOOOOOOo, waterskiing, speedboating, turbo tube pulling..HAVING A BALL!