Trim will not raise the motor back up

CDK

Recruit
I have a 1990 Searay and will flushing the motor I put the motor all the way down. I can't get it to raise again. Thoughts?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trim will not raise the motor back up

CDK, You have an outboard on that boat? What size and year? Does the trailer button rasise the motor? If so, the trim limit switch is likely bad.

CDK

Recruit

Thanks all for the ideas. Thanks and keep them coming. I am out of town but will check when I get Back Tuesday!

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is the trim motor spinning,or quiet when pushing up button?If spinning you have hydrolic problem and probably
just air in system.You may also have a leak.Check levels.If not spinning its likely electrical problem.
ive had both happen to me inside a year.First was dirty contacts on switch.Next was leaking tilt ram which im working on at the moment.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If pump is not runnning it sounds electrical. It could be the down relay. Power flows through the down relay to run the up relay. Hit down to cycle the relay then up.

mysweetone

Seaman Apprentice

Similar thing happened to me this weekend. Trim switch and trailer switch will make the selonoid "click" but nothing happens..... A few raps on the pump motor got it up WHILE HOLDING THE TRAILER BUTTON IN ....gonna replace the pump motor and should be good to go.

celtic gelf

Seaman

check your circuit breaker for a reset, the relay port or starboard maybe bad...I had a short once that popped the breaker not raising the motor....I thought omg a relay is bad...checked all trim related connections...all you can do start elimanating things....till you find it...pounding on thing's with a hammer to make them work isn't the answer thou....

mysweetone

Seaman Apprentice

check your circuit breaker for a reset, the relay port or starboard maybe bad...I had a short once that popped the breaker not raising the motor....I thought o...pounding on thing's with a hammer to make them work isn't the answer thou....

In a pinch with a boat full of people a few raps on the motor housing is an option to get the boat out of the drink... In my opinion that is not the time to get into a full on trouble shoot.

RRitt

Captain

I have a 1990 Searay and will flushing the motor I put the motor all the way down. I can't get it to raise again. Thoughts?

my first bet would be that the circuit breaker popped. If that was the case the motor would not spin in either direction.

my second bet would be a bad relay. If that was the case then the motor would spin in one direction but not the other.

my third bet would be a loose or corroded connection into the relay harness.

my fourth bet would be something unlikely to break without warning.

rmalcom

Recruit

I saw this thread and i have a similar problem. the trailer trim button will raise the trim and the down will lower it. but the up will not raise it. Bad button????? or limit switch? i show continuity the the plug in between two wires, (i don't remember now which ones)when i push the down and also when i push the trailer on a different set but not when i push the up trim button.

CDK

Recruit

Thank you all for your suggestions. It was the relay.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

this must be a common problem, mines now doing exactly the same as rmalcom's, lowers like its supposed to but will only rise with the trailer switch...I'm guessing its not a relay for this but rather a bad wire/connection somewhere

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most likely neither JBF, but if you start a thread of your own with your problem, you may find the real answer.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

you are a wise Oracle, I likely should do just that