How much grease to pump into a gimbal bearing for maintenance?

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer
The relatively early demise of my gimbal bearing (175 hours) got me thinking this question.<br /><br />My bearing was wet for about 1 week that may have contributed to the situation.<br /><br />I gave it about 8 pumps at the end of every season. <br /><br />The boat had 63 hours when I bought it and was 2 years old. I believe that the first owner maintained it well, but don't know for sure.<br /><br />When I bought my new gimbal bearing, the parts counter guy said to give the new one 25 pumps and that was the reason mine failed -- I didn't grease it enough. He says to give it 20 to 25 pumps at the end of each season and wipe out all the old grease pushed out.<br /><br />BTW, I only use the Merc green gimbal bearing grease.<br /><br />So, did I under-lubricate? Is 20-25 pumps too much? This is all assuming a 50 to 100 hour season.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How much grease to pump into a gimbal bearing for maintenance?

Great question I would like to know the answer as well. Where would all the excess grease go?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the excess grease goes into the bellows. 5-10 pumps is sufficient. if the bearing ever gets wet, all ya have to do is wet it once and it fails. a day a week a month. same results. problem is once water is in the bearing there is no way to remove it. pump all you wish but the water slurry is there. some get lucky 95% fail after swiming, gimbal bearings,ujoints cell phones and multi meters have a low swim rate and drown easy.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

You would have to wipe out the excess when you had the drive leg off.

tommays

Admiral

i grease a lot of bearings and from i have seen i think its best to lube the bearing when the drive is pulled and turn it by hand <br /><br />this allows you to see when the new grease has pushed out the old and also get a good feel for how the smooth bearing should be when it s in good condition<br /><br />also the only thing turning the bearing is the 2 o-rings on the drive shaft and over greasing can cause enough drag in the bearing to let them slip and become damaged<br /><br />tommays

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I do it very similar to what tommays says. At the end of the season, when the drive is off for the alignment and ujoint inspection, I pump grease into it and turn it until all the old grease is out.<br />I then wipe up all the old grease and everything is as good as new. Those 2 orings on the shaft are in the drive install gasket kits and should be replaced each time the drive is off.<br />If you do happen to put over 100 hours on the boat, a half a dozen pumps at 100 hours is a good idea.<br />Mercruiser also has a grease especially for ujoints and gimbal bearings. Some types of grease can let the gimbal bearings actually slide, and not turn.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone for your comments. It gives another good reason to pull the outdrive each season while you are checking alignment, gimbal bearing, ujoints (even though mine are "permalube"), and relubing shaft splines.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

I grease mine while it is running, about 7-8 pumps in the fall while winterizing(check and add more if needed when the drive comes off) and 3-4 every 3rd or 4th time out. Don't know if this is good or bad, just what I do.<br /><br />DougV>

Bondo

Staff member

I hit Mine with 8/10 pumps at Each Service,.... 50hrs. per for Me......<br />As well as Pre-season,+ Post-season......