85 Mercruiser Villa Vee inboard twin 350hp wont start. Kill switch?

oldpaddy

Recruit
Hi, all. A friend of mine recently purchased the boat, but the engines wont start. They start up just fine when he hardwires the batteries to the starters. He's replaced a lot of wires, but can't find the "right" wires to replace. He says the blowers aren't kicking in either. We're wondering if there's a kill switch that he can't find. Also, anyone know where he can find a service manual? Thanks, guys.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85 Mercruiser Villa Vee inboard twin 350hp wont start. Kill switch?

Welcome to iboats.... So does it turn over when you try to start it? And as far as a kill switch. "normally" they are pretty close to the ignition switch or pretty much in plain sight. I was trying to remember if I have ever tried to start mine with the kill switch pulled. So I don't know if it cranks and just doesn't start or if it doesn't even crank over.. Sorry I'm not much help. Maybe this will put it back on top and someone else will be more help.. Good luck..

oldpaddy

Recruit

Welcome to iboats.... So does it turn over when you try to start it? And as far as a kill switch. "normally" they are pretty close to the ignition switch or pretty much in plain sight. I was trying to remember if I have ever tried to start mine with the kill switch pulled. So I don't know if it cranks and just doesn't start or if it doesn't even crank over.. Sorry I'm not much help. Maybe this will put it back on top and someone else will be more help.. Good luck..

Thanks for the quick reply!
Both engines turn over, but neither start unless they're connected directly to the batteries.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They start up just fine when he hardwires the batteries to the starters.

What do you mean by hardwiring the battery?
The battery cable is supposed to go to the starter

oldpaddy

Recruit

He created jumpers that connect from the batteries to the starters. Then when he presses the start buttons the engines fire up. If he disconnects the jumpers while the engines are running they shut down.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are just going to have to get a volt meter and start at your ignition switch. See if there is power on the red or red purple wire on the ignition switch. If not, work your way back to the engine to find where the power stops.
Here is the manual for the 85 to 89 engine. http://www.4shared.com/document/LXsFg1do/Service_Manual_09.html

You need to make sure it's actually an 85 engine though, but getting the serial number off the engine.
Not uncommon for the engines to be a year older or even newer than the boat itself.