Gimbal Ring Alternative Repair..Thinking outside the box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Great looking old gal! Your fix was interesting. You removed the play that tightening the clamping screws could not. As long as there is no play with steel working against aluminum it should never wear out. The problem has always been lack of routine maintenance, where if the clamping screws are not retorqued annually to keep everything tight a tiny bit of slop with the steel pin working against the aluminum ring would get worse every time you turn the helm until eventually it becomes worn to the point it can't be tightened and must be replaced.

LX Kid

Ensign
My gimbal ring mod has lasted six years but now I'm replacing the whole gimbal assembly because of one "lousy, sticking, stubborn", twisted off transom mounting stud! I took the assembly to a machine shop where they were able to get all the twisted off studs out except for one. So I had to buy a used gimbal assembly and am in the process of rebuilding it with new boots etc. I lucked out and found one on eBay for $150 delivered. My "Thinking Outside The Box" has worked for me and may work for others instead of spending money on a "over priced" gimbal ring.

bucksy99

Cadet
My gimbal ring mod has lasted six years but now I'm replacing the whole gimbal assembly because of one "lousy, sticking, stubborn", twisted off transom mounting stud! I took the assembly to a machine shop where they were able to get all the twisted off studs out except for one. So I had to buy a used gimbal assembly and am in the process of rebuilding it with new boots etc. I lucked out and found one on eBay for $150 delivered. My "Thinking Outside The Box" has worked for me and may work for others instead of spending money on a "over priced" gimbal ring.

I know I'm late to the party here, but I have the same problem and like to also take the 'bandage before surgery' approach. Maybe I am missing something regarding your 'split bolt' method but once you tighten the bolt and the actual split hits the tiller bolt how does it spread out? As soon as it goes 45 deg. left and right, you wouldn't be able to turn the bolt anymore.
Again, sorry maybe I am missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.