Merc 470 pulling engine to replace oil pan gasket, scrub bilge, anything else to do?

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll be pulling the engine in the next couple weeks to replace the oil pan gasket and scrub the bilge. Probably install another in hull transducer since I'll have the access to it. And a bilge pump sensor/switch. Anything else to do in that area?

Might pull the fuel tank too, need to scrub under it as well.

Monte

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Merc 470 pulling engine to replace oil pan gasket, scrub bilge, anything else to

If you have not already done it, now would be a great time to replace the cam waterpump seals. Might also be a good time to pop the heat exchanger endcaps and clean the tubes.

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Merc 470 pulling engine to replace oil pan gasket, scrub bilge, anything else to

If you have not already done it, now would be a great time to replace the cam waterpump seals. Might also be a good time to pop the heat exchanger endcaps and clean the tubes.

haven't done any of that, good ideas, thanks.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Couple of other small things, take a look at the exhaust shutters, in the top of the exhaust pipe. There is a small casting plug at the back side of the head, Take a look to make sure it is in good shape, easy to replace with the engine out, pain with it in. That is about all of the extra work I can think of.;)

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

In case you haven't found the gasket yet, I got mine from ebasicpower.com, part no: VICOS32116, for $28.95. I know other sites had them for much more $$..

Having the motor out will be a good time to check the exhaust shutter, if it is even still there. If not, it's a great time to replace it.

If you ever wanted to install one of those oil pan drain hoses that can fit through your bilge drain to make it easier to drain the oil, this a good time. Some use those tubes to hook up to the little oil pumps to drain the oil, if you don't have one that hooks to the dip stick tube.

Probably a good time to check the teeth on the coupler... make sure the teeth aren't worn down excessively or damaged.

If your starter ever sounds weak (not due to bad batt, dirty connections), and you think it might need a rebuild any time soon, now is the time since it can be a pain in the butt to get out of there while inside the boat.

Might as well knock off any rust on the motor (won't be any on the block) and hit it with a little heat resistant paint, or any spots where the paint has chipped off. Mostly for looks, if you're into that sorta thing... especially on the bottom of the oil pan.

Make sure you get yourself an alignment tool so you can align the engine when you put it back in the boat, especially since you are moving the engine around. Cheap but good ones on ebay around $30.

You'll have to pull the outdrive to get the engine out, so you might as well at least check and possibly replace the bellows and the lower water hose if they haven't been replaced in a while, and possibly the lower shift cable. You can buy each piece separately or buy the kit that has all the parts together.

You'll need the gasket kit for putting the outdrive back on...

Doesn't have anything to do with the motor, but has the impeller been changed recently? Might as well have the entire thing running and cooling like it should be...

That's all I can think of, maybe there are more ideas to come.. skip any or all, lol :D