Log damage

farmer9009

Seaman
Well it was a great day out on the water until I found a submerged log floating down the river. It ripped the lower half right off. I was cruising at about 20 MPH when it happened. I felt it hit and immediately the RPMs shot up. I had my hand on the throttle and was able to quickly throttle down and turn the engine off but obviously the damage was already done. I know I need a new/rebuilt stern drive unit. I am looking for advice from people who may have had a similar collision and if they found anything else damaged besides the stern drive.
I have checked the hull for cracks and can?t find anything. The transom was rebuilt this year with new wood and is solid.

My plan is to pull the drive check bearings and alignment and install a new drive.
Also how often does this happen? I have never personally seen any fellow boaters hit something that actually broke the stern in half.

Photos included:

Attachments

• Photo08071804.jpg
    Photo08071804.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo08071816.jpg
    Photo08071816.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo08071805_2.jpg
    Photo08071805_2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo08071817.jpg
    Photo08071817.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 0

89mercruiser

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Log damage

I've never seen anything like that before. That hurts seeing that, see if your insurance would actually cover something like this. My parents told me that our policy covers the engine and outdrive.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

You may want to remove the bottom half and have it inspected for damage. It may be reusable. You can get a top half new from SEI for $650-$750 depending on what year it is.

n2thex

Recruit

WOW!! I hit a log last weekend and was pissed about trashing a prop and a hydrofoil. Now I feel fortunate. Sorry for the bad luck

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Dad's boat has hit a log before. Insurance covered it. Damage was bad enough that they wanted to total the boat, but he got the money and kept the boat.

Chris

farmer9009

Seaman

Well I put a dial indicator on the lower drive shaft and prop shaft and they are not bent. This is some good news.
I drained the oil and a small amount of water was present so I filled the lower with fresh oil and re drained.
I will be purchasing a new upper later this week and be back out on the water soon.

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW -- that's incredible -- never seen one fail like that!! -- Must have been a preditor log :D -- Your prop will need to be replaced or repaired too....

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

wow farmer, glad everyone is ok. from the looks of it that had to of been a pretty good force. it's good to see you are plan to getting back ning to get back out there as soon as you can. good luck and hope everything works out for you.