• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

What should fuel pressure be at idle? Mercruiser 2002 350 MAG MPI

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should fuel pressure be at idle? Mercruiser 2002 350 MAG MPI

My boat is at the shop after experiencing loss of power and WOT of only 3000 RPM. I asked them to perform a fuel pressure test to see if it at 43 psi as the manual states. They are claiming that the only way to get an accutare fuel pressure reading it to take it to the lake and run it at WOT. This is really starting to irritate me since the boat is in the shop because it won't reach WOT. So, should they be able to get 43 psi by putting a tester on the fuel rail at idle or or they BSing me?

Re: What should fuel pressure be at idle? Mercruiser 2002 350 MAG MPI

They are 100% correct. You have a problem of not getting to WOT, so what good is checking the pressure at idle? If it drops significantly while attempting to reach WOT, it will give them a direction to continue troubleshooting.
    If you don't want to allow them to do the testing, then pick your boat up buy the tools and manuals and do the testing yourself. But don't tie their hands so they can't test, then complain because it took them so long to find the problem.
    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

My thought was that the fuel pressure and tests that can be done in the shop should tell us something. I have read in these forums that the fuel system test outlined in the ECM 555 manual can be performed to give an indication of where the problem might be. Shouldn't they at least be running all of the possible in-shop tests before taking it to the lake. They are stating that this lake test will involve two techs at 2 hours each for a total of 4 hours and $400 bucks ouch!

Comment

Maybe they did test it already and it was 43. Did you ask them?

For $400, you can buy your own gauges and take the boat to the water yourself to test the pressure.
        I have hooked gauges to the engine like that for customers in the past so they didn't have to pay for the all the driving and launching/retrieving and testing time. Or perhaps offer to take a tech to the water and drive the boat while he does the testing. I've done this with customers also.
        Don S.

sigpic

Comment

I asked the service manager what the psi was at idle and he didn't know because the techs had all of that information. I also suggested that I take the boat out and do the test but he didn't sound too crazy about that. He stated that he would go talk to his techs and see what they thought. I do like the idea of me driving while a tech does the testing better than paying two techs at 2 hours each. I picked up a fuel pressure tester at lunch and I might just get the boat back and start testing things myself. So, would it be normal to see a psi of 43 at idle on this engine?

Comment

I got the boat back and ran a fuel pressure test from the shrader valve on the fuel rail with the following results:

PSI with key turned on and fuel pump engages: 43
            PSI with key turned on and fuel pump shuts off: 40 steady with no drop off over time
            PSI with engine idling: 38

Does all of this sound normal? The manual states that this engine should be getting 43 PSI but is that at idle or under load?

Comment

Have you read this in the manual?

Service bulletin 99-7 below

VVVVVV
              Attached Files
              Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that information Don. I am reading manual #31 and I did not see this section. I am going to take the boat out tomorrow and do a fuel pressure test from the fuel rail while under load. I will post the results of that test. Thanks again!

Comment

You need to be doing this on the water test with not only the fuel pressure gauges, but if you don't have a diagnostic tool hooked to the engine so other things can be checked at the same time, you are only doing the job half way.
                  Your problem may not even be a fuel problem.
                  Don S.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X