Alpha 1 lost forward and reverse

jimmyboat

Recruit
I was getting up on plane when the engine came out of gear. Now I have neither forward or reverse. The lower cable moves smoothly by hand and I can see movement where the cable enters the lower unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

JJJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alpha 1 lost forward and reverse

Well if you are lucky, it is just a shift cable or associated part.
If yours is like mine, the lower unit just died.

Pull the drain plug and look for water and metal, esp. if when in forward the arm on the lower unit points directly forward.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

One check is with the O/D up look @ the shift shaft and see if it moves when throttle is in different positions it also helps to have a helper whEn doing this. the shift shaft is visible on the transom side of the O/D between the upper and lower halves of the O/D. If it's moving then you have some internal issues if not you may just have a cable and or shift fork problem ask one of the mods for the link to your O/D'S Aservice manual and start reading.

mhirsch05

Seaman Apprentice

i had a friend with a similar problem on my lake a week ago. ended up being the engine cupler splines stripped out. im now in the middle of helping him pull the engine to fix it. not fun

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Did ya manually try to put it in gear by moving the little brass foot that comes up out of the front end of the lower unit?. Straight ahead should be FWD, 1200 position is straight fwd. prop locks if spun CCW and ratchets if turned CW.. Neutral approx 1100 position if looking down from above, prop spins freely both ways, Rev would be about the 1000 position, prop locks if spun CW and ratchets if spun CCW. If that all works, cross your fingers and take the top cover off the upper -that square thing with the 4 bolts. Take a look at the top 2 gears, and hope they are still all purdy..............