Oil capacity for 5.7 Mercruiser Alpha One?

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My boat, a Wellcraft 210 classic with a 5.7 Mercruiser Alpha One, all of a sudden lost all oil in the engine well on Sunday. I had just fixed the oil pressure guage and stopped immediately and got my brother to tow me in. We thought it might be a head gasket, but this morning we found a hole in the oil filter. Yea. I have a manual ordered, but need to know how much oil with a filter change does this engine take?

Thanks,

Jim

moetr

Cadet
Re: Oil capacity for 5.7 Mercruiser Alpha One?

I found this on the web. Looks like anywhere from 4.5 to 6 quarts.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/App_Themes/PPT/images/product-specs/mercruiser-oil-capacity.pdf

Let us know what caused the hole. How old is that filter and is this a saltwater boat?

I had just fixed the oil pressure gage. What was wrong with it? Did you use teflon tape?

Just wondering if this is related and caused by high oil pressure, stuck bypass, etc. You don't want it to happen again.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

My boat, a Wellcraft 210 classic with a 5.7 Mercruiser Alpha One, all of a sudden lost all oil in the engine well on Sunday. I had just fixed the oil pressure guage and stopped immediately and got my brother to tow me in. We thought it might be a head gasket, but this morning we found a hole in the oil filter. Yea. I have a manual ordered, but need to know how much oil with a filter change does this engine take?

Thanks,

Jim

5 1/2 quarts with a filter change. But don't go by the manual, put in 5 and see where you are. Keep doing this until you get to your full mark.

Always check the level after you have warmed the engine up next time, and do your final topping off.

Happy boating!

P.S. Mercruiser oil filters are thicker walled than your standard car filters...something to consider if you aren't already changing the filter every season.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go by the dipstick. Not what a book says. If it says 5 quarts with a filter, put in 4 and a new filter run and add what is needed to get the dipstick reading near full.

DO NOT OVERFILL..

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Guys. Do you happen to know the spark plug gap? Hope that manual gets here soon.

Thanks,

Jim

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found this on the web. Looks like anywhere from 4.5 to 6 quarts.

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/App_Themes/PPT/images/product-specs/mercruiser-oil-capacity.pdf

Let us know what caused the hole. How old is that filter and is this a saltwater boat?

I had just fixed the oil pressure gage. What was wrong with it? Did you use teflon tape?

Just wondering if this is related and caused by high oil pressure, stuck bypass, etc. You don't want it to happen again.

The filter was real old. He hadn't changed the oil in a while I think. He said it was a fresh water boat until he moved here, NW. Fla. It has been leaking since I had it, but I did not know it. All of a sudden the hole opened up enough to leak out all at once. The pressure guage wasn't plugged in. Not sure why. But we found it and it works now. I think it was a coincedence that it happened right after the guage was fixed.