Oil Capacity for 96 5.7L Mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

fast94impala

Cadet
I'm planning to change the engine oil as well as the stern drive oil (Alpha1 Gen II), but I could not find any capacity specs in the owners manual. How much of each oil do I need to get? (Oil filter to be replaced as well)<br /><br />Also, I plan to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic (having 3 vehicles with 200K+ is all the convincing I need). What weight is best suited for marine applications? 5.7L converted to 4-bbl. I'm thinking 20w40 is close to SAE30.<br /> <br />Any help appreciated,<br /><br />Mark

PGtoy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Oil Capacity for 96 5.7L Mercruiser

My book says 5.7 used 5 1/2 Qts with filter<br /> air temp 32-50 30W<br /> 50 up 40w<br /> or 20w-40w <br /> 20w-50w <br /> high quality API SH, CF/CF-2

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

On the engine, buy 6 and fill to the full mark on the dip stick. Don't just go by how many quarts the book says, you may not get it all out and you don't want to overfill.<br />On the drive, you need about 3.5 quarts including the reservoir. Fill it using the instructions in the owners manual or service manual. Do NOT do it the way you think it should be done. If you idea is different, it could cost you a drive.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> on the genII drives always remove and clean the oil resivor as well. it tends to get "mud" in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.