Building an Outdrive Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering about building an outdrive stand so I can begin to experiment on doing some maintenace such as greasing U-joints and impeller/water pump changes on my Alpha I Gen II.<br />Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding this idea.<br />I could have the maint. guys here at work build something for free. Do you guys think it is worth it?

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Building an Outdrive Stand

Email me and I will send you pictures of what we use. It costs about $2. and is available in almost any hardware store.

EDIT: This thread is from Feb 2005, and it is now Aug. 2009. Please don't try to email rabidfish. You can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member

How about posting a pic. rabidfish.......<br /><br />I'm looking for some New ideas......<br /><br />I was thinking about something like this,.... Maybe..........<br />
b3_1_b.JPG
<br /><br />I'm also revamping My Storage Rack......<br />I want to be able to rack-up 4 outboards,+ 4 outdrives on the same dollie/rack........

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I made a stand out of a couple 2x6 and 2x4s that I had laying around.I laid 2,3to 4 foot pieces of 2x6 as the base.Connected them at each end with scewed in 2x4s and then ran 4 pieces of 2x4s up as legs.I then screwed 2 more 3to 4 foot 2x6s across the top of the legs running parallel to the base 2x6s.I made these much closer to each other than the base .I left just enough room between them to slide the outdrive into the slot and it will be supported by the cav plate.You will have to brace it in plenty of places to make it stable.I am horrible building things carpentry related so if you get the general idea,I am sure you can improve on it.It holds the drive upright and upside down.I sometimes have to slide a small piece of 1x4 under the front of the cav plate perpendicular to the stand to keep the drive from tipping forward depending on which cav plate I have it supported by.The general idea is to have 2 base pieces connected with 4 legs and 2 more on top of the legs close enough to each other to leave just enough room to slide the drive between the 2 top pieces and it being supported by the can plate.Hope that gets you a general idea.Charlie

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

DON, L.O.L.....I checked out your link...The pic came up real quick...(the pic of the guy and the girl)with the caption, <br /><br />"This new outdrive stand is the perfect answer to store any outdrive virtually anywhere".<br /><br />The rest of the ad didnt come up for 40 seconds. said to myself, "Don's got a sense of humor!!!!hahahaha...sl

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I tried the U-POD but it would not keep my pre-alpha drive from rotating forward. Also, it was too flexible.

intrepid

Seaman

Hi Don S <br /><br />Can you post the measurements for your end pieces? I think i'd like to make one of those.

Sharps-Nut

Seaman

Don, I am one of those folks who lerks around this site an mostly reads, almost daily. I am trying to further my boat repair knowledge so I can make most repairs myself as they come along. I really appreciate your input and respect your mechanical advice, but now I find out you are a fairly avid woodworker on top of being an ace boat mechanic Teaching woodworking, myself I always enjoy seeing pics of someones home shop, and them putting their skills to use. Thanks for all of the free advice, you, bondo, rodbolt, and several others make it a wonderful educational site for those of us starting a boating hobby who need all the help we can get. Thanks you again. Sharps-Nut

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The end pieces were 12x12 to start with....only because they were cutoffs from a previous project. They don't need to be that tall.<br />I made mine big enough for any drive I may run into. I have since made several more (smaller) and put some boards cross pieces in to keep the drive from tipping L&R. <br />Using the basic sizes of the U Pod stand will work.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Sharps-Nut:<br /> Don, I am one of those folks who lerks around this site an mostly reads, almost daily. I am trying to further my boat repair knowledge so I can make most repairs myself as they come along. I really appreciate your input and respect your mechanical advice, but now I find out you are a fairly avid woodworker on top of being an ace boat mechanic Teaching woodworking, myself I always enjoy seeing pics of someones home shop, and them putting their skills to use. Thanks for all of the free advice, you, bondo, rodbolt, and several others make it a wonderful educational site for those of us starting a boating hobby who need all the help we can get. Thanks you again. Sharps-Nut
Couldn't have said it better.<br />Thanks guys for all your wisdom ;)

mboccabell

Recruit

Hello my name is Mario,
I was searching the web looking for some plans on how to build an outdrive stand when I came across your post from 2000. I was very curious to see what you were able to come up with that is available at a local hardware store. If you still have a photo or some insrtuctions on how to make one I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You
Mario

Email me and I will send you pictures of what we use. It costs about $2. and is available in almost any hardware store.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I built this out of left over 2x6s last winter and put adjustable casters on it so the height could be adjusted to the drive. It's a pretty easy project, only spent a little money on the casters, already had the wood.

Attachments

• cobra.jpg
    cobra.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 101
  • cobra 2.jpg
    cobra 2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 100

ziggy

Admiral

Glad some one brought this thread back.
yep. i like the saw horse idea. very good. plain and simple and to the point.

was wondering how i'm gonna save my old back working on the drive
while i like the idea of the saw horses, or anything else too for that matter, like a couple a chairs or garbage cans. this drive stand will not help ya when reinstalling the drive.

made this out of scraps around the house..

IMG_2830.jpg

no wheels, but that's ok. i have a white rock driveway to work on. so just slide the drive around in the rocks. the stand allowed me to install the drive by myself. just slid it around on the rocks till i was square. adj. trailer height to allow drive to be installed. was very easy to do..... and sure saved my back. i can't imagine installing w/o a stand. that sounds hard to do....

admjr33

Cadet

I built my stand like this. 1" x 1" tubing welded together with removable casters to roll around with.

Attachments

• stand1.jpg
    stand1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 11

ziggy

Admiral

very nice hd.... might have to make me a new one....

HDPipes05

Seaman Apprentice

very nice hd.... might have to make me a new one....

Thanks Zigg. Couple more small braces, a little sanding and some paint. She will be complete. Works like a charm. I can spin the prop, service all ports/drains and I can also wheel it right to the back of the boat, mount it and wheel cart out of the way. Re-mounting the drive has to be done with the prop removed though.

These thing are really worth there weight in gold if you service/store your own O/D as you already know. You can buy them for around $100 made from steel tubing but I like projects! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.