• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Building an Outdrive Stand

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an Outdrive Stand

I was wondering about building an outdrive stand so I can begin to experiment on doing some maintenace such as greasing U-joints and impeller/water pump changes on my Alpha I Gen II.Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding this idea.I could have the maint. guys here at work build something for free. Do you guys think it is worth it?
    sigpic
    '05 Sea Ray Sundeck 200
    4.3 MPI Alpha

Re: Building an Outdrive Stand

Email me and I will send you pictures of what we use. It costs about $2. and is available in almost any hardware store.

EDIT: This thread is from Feb 2005, and it is now Aug. 2009. Please don't try to email rabidfish. You can't.
    Last edited by Don S; August 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM.

Comment

How about posting a pic. rabidfish.......I'm looking for some New ideas......I was thinking about something like this,.... Maybe.......... I'm also revamping My Storage Rack......I want to be able to rack-up 4 outboards,+ 4 outdrives on the same dollie/rack........
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

I made a stand out of a couple 2x6 and 2x4s that I had laying around.I laid 2,3to 4 foot pieces of 2x6 as the base.Connected them at each end with scewed in 2x4s and then ran 4 pieces of 2x4s up as legs.I then screwed 2 more 3to 4 foot 2x6s across the top of the legs running parallel to the base 2x6s.I made these much closer to each other than the base .I left just enough room between them to slide the outdrive into the slot and it will be supported by the cav plate.You will have to brace it in plenty of places to make it stable.I am horrible building things carpentry related so if you get the general idea,I am sure you can improve on it.It holds the drive upright and upside down.I sometimes have to slide a small piece of 1x4 under the front of the cav plate perpendicular to the stand to keep the drive from tipping forward depending on which cav plate I have it supported by.The general idea is to have 2 base pieces connected with 4 legs and 2 more on top of the legs close enough to each other to leave just enough room to slide the drive between the 2 top pieces and it being supported by the can plate.Hope that gets you a general idea.Charlie

Comment

Just some plywood and 2X4's

Or, you can buy one. Outdrive Stand
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Don S; November 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM. Reason: Replaced old picture that didn't work.
          Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
          That is what the forums are for.
          Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

DON, L.O.L.....I checked out your link...The pic came up real quick...(the pic of the guy and the girl)with the caption, "This new outdrive stand is the perfect answer to store any outdrive virtually anywhere".The rest of the ad didnt come up for 40 seconds. said to myself, "Don's got a sense of humor!!!!hahahaha...sl

Comment

I tried the U-POD but it would not keep my pre-alpha drive from rotating forward. Also, it was too flexible.

Comment

Hi Don S Can you post the measurements for your end pieces? I think i'd like to make one of those.

Comment

Don, I am one of those folks who lerks around this site an mostly reads, almost daily. I am trying to further my boat repair knowledge so I can make most repairs myself as they come along. I really appreciate your input and respect your mechanical advice, but now I find out you are a fairly avid woodworker on top of being an ace boat mechanic Teaching woodworking, myself I always enjoy seeing pics of someones home shop, and them putting their skills to use. Thanks for all of the free advice, you, bondo, rodbolt, and several others make it a wonderful educational site for those of us starting a boating hobby who need all the help we can get. Thanks you again. Sharps-Nut

Comment

The end pieces were 12x12 to start with....only because they were cutoffs from a previous project. They don't need to be that tall.I made mine big enough for any drive I may run into. I have since made several more (smaller) and put some boards cross pieces in to keep the drive from tipping L&R. Using the basic sizes of the U Pod stand will work.
                    Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                    That is what the forums are for.
                    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharps-Nut: Don, I am one of those folks who lerks around this site an mostly reads, almost daily. I am trying to further my boat repair knowledge so I can make most repairs myself as they come along. I really appreciate your input and respect your mechanical advice, but now I find out you are a fairly avid woodworker on top of being an ace boat mechanic Teaching woodworking, myself I always enjoy seeing pics of someones home shop, and them putting their skills to use. Thanks for all of the free advice, you, bondo, rodbolt, and several others make it a wonderful educational site for those of us starting a boating hobby who need all the help we can get. Thanks you again. Sharps-Nut
                      Couldn't have said it better.Thanks guys for all your wisdom
                      sigpic
                      '05 Sea Ray Sundeck 200
                      4.3 MPI Alpha

Comment

Hello my name is Mario,
                        I was searching the web looking for some plans on how to build an outdrive stand when I came across your post from 2000. I was very curious to see what you were able to come up with that is available at a local hardware store. If you still have a photo or some insrtuctions on how to make one I would greatly appreciate it.
                        Thank You
                        Mario

Originally posted by rabidfish View Post
                        Email me and I will send you pictures of what we use. It costs about $2. and is available in almost any hardware store.

Comment

I built this out of left over 2x6s last winter and put adjustable casters on it so the height could be adjusted to the drive. It's a pretty easy project, only spent a little money on the casters, already had the wood.
                          Attached Files
                          1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                          4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                          07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Have a look here. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234206

I think I dimensioned the drawing.

R

Comment

Glad some one brought this thread back.
                              yep. i like the saw horse idea. very good. plain and simple and to the point.

was wondering how i'm gonna save my old back working on the drive
                              while i like the idea of the saw horses, or anything else too for that matter, like a couple a chairs or garbage cans. this drive stand will not help ya when reinstalling the drive.

made this out of scraps around the house..

no wheels, but that's ok. i have a white rock driveway to work on. so just slide the drive around in the rocks. the stand allowed me to install the drive by myself. just slid it around on the rocks till i was square. adj. trailer height to allow drive to be installed. was very easy to do..... and sure saved my back. i can't imagine installing w/o a stand. that sounds hard to do....
                              'Lime Time'
                              1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
                              Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Comment

Working...
                              X