Installed anew mercruiser 3.0L starter, turns but doesn't engage flywheel

Beachbum81

Recruit
I just installed a new ARCO starter on a 2006 mercruiser 3.0L. The starter turns but doesn't engage the flywheel. The new starter looked exactly like the old one and the bolts and brackets fit OK. Any thoughts on why the flywheel would not be engaged. Are there any adjustments that need to be made to the new starter before installing?

Thanks!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Installed anew mercruiser 3.0L starter, turns but doesn't engage flywheel

Welcome aboard!

There should be no adjustments necessary if you have the correct starter. If it is the correct starter, perhaps you got one with a bad bendix. What do you mean by the flywheel isn't engaged? A bad bendix will extend into and engage the flywheel, but will not "catch."

Another possibility is missing teeth on the flywheel.

Beachbum81

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply, Fishermark!

Upon further investigation, the inboard bolt, though tight, did not seat the starter completely. There was about a 3/16 in gap, which I could not see from the top, but could see looking aft. I loosened both bolts and the bracket, and re-tightened. The motor started on the first crank.

Thank you for the help. This is a great forum!

Beachbum81

Recruit

P.S. The old starter got fried by a bad ignition switch.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Glad to hear you got it fixed. May want to double check all of your electrical connections, as loose connections will cause heat and damage the wires and terminals - and the resulting low voltage can damage starter and components as well.

Beachbum81

Recruit

All check good. Thanks for the assist!