Changing Bellows on a Mercruiser

deanna5051

Cadet
Can any one give me some useful tips on changing the bellows on a 1977 mercruiser?I`m changing all three and the shift cable and I don`t have the bellows spreaders that the bookssay you need. Thanks for any replies

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Changing Bellows on a Mercruiser

This subject is discussed extensively on this Forum. You might see if the tags at the bottom of these pages point you toward the threads.

I believe a Mercruiser I/O unit that old is harder to replace the bellows, as they have power trim hoses with long, compound bend metal fittings that have to be snaked down and screwed into the transom unit. All I say is be careful when you screw in the hose fittings, as they're very easy to strip out. (I say this from experience. I've also had a bellows leak and sink my boat)

Bellows repair is not very difficult, but getting the hose clamps tight (and to hold) is often very difficult due to a lack of room. Mercury didn't engineer any lip where the bellows are clamped, so bellows are just so quick to slide off when flexed. The Mercury bellows cement is very slimy stuff--and it's required to do the job. I personally have not had good luck changing bellows, and would be taking it to a professional that replaces them all the time.