470 Mercruiser w/ water colled voltage regulator- starter selinoid fuse link problem

erielady

Recruit
I had a bad voltage regulator (water cooled) on my 1984 merc 470. Also had a burnt fuse link that is mounted off of the starter selinoid. I am replacing both parts. I have some doubts about the wiring to the fused link on the starter selinoid. The fuse is mounted to the large post on the selinoid. It has two large red wires mounted under it. One is a positive battery lead and I think the other wire goes to a bundle of wires in the harness. The other end of this fuse link has a small wiring post. This post had one tan wire on it that goes to the voltage regulator. As far as I can see this fuse is only protecting the wire to the voltage regulator. My question is: is this wired correct? Or are the wires in the wrong place? The starter was replaced years back and the wires may have gotten in the wrong place. If anyone has a 470 with this set up that can look at it and tell me where the wires go on this starter selinoid fuse link. Thanks.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 470 Mercruiser w/ water colled voltage regulator- starter selinoid fuse link prob

Hear is the wire diagram, sounds like you have a fuse instead of a breaker, so when looking at diagram the fuse should be connected as the breaker is.
Sounds as if someone has done some wire changes cause the only tan wire should go to temp sender.

Hope it helps
a4645f91.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 470 Mercruiser w/ water colled voltage regulator- starter selinoid fuse link prob

If you have not already ordered the parts, consider an alternator conversion. Should be able to do it for about $300.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Sounds as if someone has done some wire changes cause the only tan wire should go to temp sender.

Important thing to note when working on old boats is the color of the wires. I would be willing to bet that the "tan" wire the original poster mentions was at one time an "orange" wire. The colors fade.

blueagletalon

Seaman

you also might want to make sure its not the stater. mine went and the voltage regulator was $521. alt conversion kit was $300

suttonj

Cadet

I would have to agree with Stonyloam about the alternator conversion. I have a 1986 MCM 170 (inline 4) that had a water cooled Voltage Regulator.
Last year the VR caught on fire while I was in the middle of Rathbun lake with 2 kids on board. Lost some wiring and the Power steering hose. It also messed up my coil and points. It could have been much worse. I powered on toward the beach where a lot of people came to my aid to put out the fire and take care of the kids. helped load the boat too.

Boating folks are the best.

Order the conversion from Breezeworks. It could save you more than the $500 for the VR.