MC-1 outdrive, only goes up with UP and UP/OUT buttons, how to troubleshoot....

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So my outdrive will only raise with both the UP and the UP/OUT buttons depressed. I don't have the small range of motion I'm supposed to have for just trimming the outdrive "out". I can use the 2 buttons to make it work, but if it's broke I'd like to fix it. Any helpful directions on how to troubleshoot this?

thanks,
Monte

Last edited:

hbmtr

Cadet
Re: Pre Alpha outdrive, only goes up with UP and UP/OUT buttons, how to troubleshoot.

Re: Pre Alpha outdrive, only goes up with UP and UP/OUT buttons, how to troubleshoot.

hi monte
is this a mc-1 drive? sounds like your trim limit switch is bad.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This troubleshooting chart with wiring diagrams should help you find the problem.

Attachments

• A1 Trim Troubleshooting.pdf
    216.8 KB · Views: 9

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hi monte

it's a 1980 unit. i thought there were pre-alpha, alpha I and alpha II units. it has the lifting eyelet on the top of the outdrive.

i found this guide to replacing the switch http://www.sterndrives.com/replacing_trim_senders.html, looks like i should replace the bellows at the same time. the trim position sender has a broken wire, but i don't have a trim position gauge anyway.

monte

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This troubleshooting chart with wiring diagrams should help you find the problem.

thanks Don, that'll help a lot.

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is no such thing as a "Pre Alpha" that is a meaningless term. Have a look at this history and ID file.
http://www.4shared.com/file/213854305/deac4209/Mercruiser_Alpha_ID_and_Histor.html

thanks. I jumped the limit switch leads and now the UP/OUT button works by itself. I guess it's bellows and switches at some point.

Monte

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hi monte

yeah, it's seems to be an MC-1 drive.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

if its a mc-1 with the limit switch at the top of the gimbal ring like mine. you had better hope the switch itself is not bad.. they dont make it any more.. I have that problem with mine..

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if its a mc-1 with the limit switch at the top of the gimbal ring like mine. you had better hope the switch itself is not bad.. they dont make it any more.. I have that problem with mine..

it's on the side.

haulnazz15

Captain

it's on the side.

The items on the side are probably for your trim gauge, not the limit switch. Although if it's truly an MC-1, the trim gauge is normally controlled by a contraption on top of the inner transom plate.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The items on the side are probably for your trim gauge, not the limit switch. Although if it's truly an MC-1, the trim gauge is normally controlled by a contraption on top of the inner transom plate.

Not exactly, only the very earlly MC-1 drives had them on the top. The later one had them on the side.
The gauge sender is on the starboard side and the trim limit is on the port side.
Here is the instruction sheet that comes with the sender kit. you do not replace only one, you must do both to prevent a leak through the transom shield.

Attachments

• Trim limit n switch install instructions.pdf
    252 KB · Views: 3

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

trim limit switch and trim position sender are on the sides.

dccordell

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, my MC-1 has them on the sides too.. not a bad job to replace them, but you might as well go ahead and do bellows, check the gimbal bearing and water hose and lower shift cable while you have it all apart. You can get a kit that has all of those parts together.

Only hard part for me was getting at that wire clamp bolt, but it's not impossible. Cuss at it a few times, sit back for a minute and think, then you'll get it :)

That manual Don posted is good for the whole job, and adjusting the switch and sender to the correct position.

Good luck..

hbmtr

Cadet

hi monte
if you dont want to replace the switches i cant blame you,there is a way around this but i caution you to ck your u joint bellows if it needs replacing then replace the switches at the same time.look inside your engine compartment towards the stern of the boat,located on the inner transom plate there will be 4 wires colored black2 will go to the engine harness hooked to a grnd and the other to a brown w/wht tracer this is your trim sender wires for your gauge,the other 2 wires will go to a harness at your trim pump they attach via bullet connecters to 2 some times purple wires.simply disconnect trim limit wires and make a jumper wire and connect 2 wires from the trim pump harness this will bypass your trim limit switch.just beware when you are trimming boat under way the drive will no longer stop at the specified ram dimension.
hope this helps hbmtr