• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

85 Mercruiser 140 fuel issue! Need some help

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 Mercruiser 140 fuel issue! Need some help

Hey guys I am new to the forums. and I am in need of some help. I have a mercruiser 140 I have been having issues with. A few weeks ago I was on the lake and boat died and wouldnt start was not getting any fuel to the carb. Naturally I thought the fuel pump went out. I got my new fuel pump in on friday and installed it sat. after priming the system boat started right up and run for a hour hooked up on the muffs. I took the boat out today and ran great for 3 straight hours. We stopped the boat and anchored out in a cove for some swimming. after about a hour of sitting we started the boat it idled for about a minute and died. It would not start again. checked fuel line and no fuel to carb. checked the fuel filter on the pump it was clean. Im tired of getting stranded!

My wife is ready to kill me. I know its gotta be something simple but i have no idea yet. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I was checking my prop and i found a little bit of slop not up down but in and out on the prop shaft. is this normal slop or should i be looking at new bearings in my lower unit soon? The slop is about 1/16th to a 1/8th of a inch in and out.

Re: 85 Mercruiser 140 fuel issue! Need some help

How did you prime your fuel pump?

Comment

added fuel to the carb and to get it fire. So not really priming the pump just getting motor to start to get the pump to build enough pressure to prime the system. much easier to do than crank crank crank crank and burning up the starter. i did pour a small amount of gas in the fitting on the pump that goes from the pump to the carb.

Comment

I checked the check ball in the fitting on the tank and it looked good and seemed to be working the way it should. also checked the filter going down into the tank it was clean, Anyone Please Help point me in a direction I am at a loss here.

I also found a forum post about the slop in the prop and seems normal. Now if I can just get some help with my fuel issue.

Comment

Is there fuel in the tank?
          When will people learn that impellers require regular
          replacement and are not drive it till it pukes items?

1984 Regal Medallion 195
          3.8 V-6 with the dreaded
          OMC Stringer Drive.
          2003 Avalanche w/Hypertech

If it ain't fixable - don't break it!

Comment

Is your tank vented properly? Maybe trash in the tank?

Red
            Honor, Courage, Commitment.

Comment

You need to find out where the problem is originating. When you can't get fuel to the carb, take the line off of the pump at the "in" fitting and attach a primer bulb - see if any fuel will come out. If it isn't coming out then take the hose off at the next fitting and keep trying with the bulb. This happened to me while I was underway and it was a jammed check ball, slammed it down to loosen it and it was fine. You may have some junk in your tank that is getting sucked into the intake line and when your engine dies-it falls back into the tank.

If you take the line off the pump and it is fine, then it is your fuel pump forward you need to worry about.

Also, have you checked your float level in the carb???
              -----Dani B.

Comment

i had the same problem i had to pour fuel down carb to start i got to the point and put a primer ball on and still could not get fuel i checked the anti syphon valve and it seemed to work fine put the primer ball right at the antisyphon valve and still could not get fuel replaced valve and all worked good. start from the beginning clean tank replace inline filter if you have one replace antisyphon valve change fuel filter and make sure you have no water in the fuel do you have a fuel/water seperator also make sure your fuel line is not cracked

Comment

yes there is fuel in the tank.
                  When this happened to me at the lake I removed the line to the fuel In fitting on the fuel pump and it was dry. I removed fuel pump and manually activated the pump and the remaining fuel sprayed out of the "out" fitting. I did notice that my clear tube running to the carb is partway clogged but i can still blow through it. The check ball responded well and when i blew through it it made a fluttering sound like I was blowing in spurts. this kinda concerned me a little.

dn010 If it was junk in the tank wouldnt it stall out while driving ? It only does this after it sits for a while. And if it pumps fine with a bulb down by the tank and i get fuel out the in fitting. what could it be from the pump upwards that would make the pump loose prime?

is there any larger ports to inspect the tank through other than the sender? its about a 2.5" whole.

I will be replacing the fuel line on fri and trying the primer bulb. the bad thing is is this seems to only happen when the motor is under a load for a period of time. I could not dublicate this problem while hooked up to the muffs. So I may be conducting diagnostics at the lake. I will build up my rowing arm!
                  I appreciate all the input guys atleast I now have a direction to go in.

Comment

Working...
                  X