Keep from Freezing

LuckyPenny

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have heard many ways to keep my engine from freezing over the winter (I keep the boat in the water year round and use her) I have the 100 watt light bulb in the bulge and it seems to work. vents covered.<br /><br />What I would like to know if anyone has tried block heaters? They are held to the oil pan with a magnet. My concern is as there is only about 6 inches of clearence from the bottom of the pan to the bottom of the boat will I risk cooking the glass bottom? or is there an alternate location to put it where it will be just as effective.<br /><br />I own a 1977 Chevy 5/7L (mercriser 250) :confused:

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Keep from Freezing

Those don't get terribly hot. It can be mounted on the side of the oil pan rather than the bottom. That's about the only alternative. I like that better than the lightbulb. But if you're in the water and that's above 40 degrees, it can get awfully cold outside and not freeze the block. Pull it out of the water and all bets are off.

Bondo

Staff member

It Seems it would do more good if it was mounted to the Block........<br />You need to heat the Block,+ Manifolds..... Not the Oil......<br />How about Under the manifolds, next to the engine block,...?????<br />How many Watts is it rated ???<br />Will it be alright when it gets Wet in the bilge ??????

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Had a customer do all those things and he froze the water inlet line from the seacock to the pump.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmmmmm, same link, same time, you owe me a beer Merc :D

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now that was weired! nice timing Don S! I have one in my carpet cleaning truck. 750 watt model keeps extended Chevy Van above freezing SAFELY. I have a truckmounted machine powered by a gas engine in there so I'm concerned about FIRES and EXPLOSIONS.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

You'd do good to drain the water from the engine after every use in the winter. All it would take would be for the power to go out in a storm and your engine would be junk.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I remember oil dipstick heaters. You replaced the existing dipstick with this heater and it kept the oil warm.<br /><br />Anyone tried them?

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

wife pulled her car into our detached, uninsulated garage. Its 15 degrees here and has been for 3 days. Snow melted off her car. That 750 watt marine heater is heating the truck which is heating the garage.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

so far I have lost 2 motors. actually not me but my customers, they brought them in today for winterizing a few days to late. no my problem now. we sent them all letters in october. we will repower come spring. the last 3 days have been very nice. if I winterize below 35 degrees I charge 150 an hour :) :) <br />I did 5 in the last 3 days all below 29 degrees:)<br /> 3 have sat since august.

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing like waiting till the last minute, Rodbolt, eh? "3 have sat since august" ???? Glad to see these people have money to throw around for new engines! (And it's job security for you marine mechanics!) :) I always try and get my boat winterized around the same time each year(end of october). My mechanic told me that when he starts getting a real large back log into the end of december, he'll tell the people to swing by with the boat if they are nervous of freezing and he'll at least pull the drain plugs off the block.

DHPMARINE

Captain

It's sad when they swing by and we pull the plugs and nothing comes out because it's already ice.<br /><br />DHP

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lucky, just out of curiosity, how cold does the water your boat is sitting in get? <br /><br />Someone mentioned the risk of power failure. I live out in the sticks, chances of power failure are greater when it gets cold, cause snow or ice can take down trees or limbs near power lines. But I'd be even more concerned using a lightbulb instead of something like a marine heater (or even a something like a heating pad). Light bulb just doesn't seem reliable enough to trust regularly if an engine is at risk.<br /><br />One question, does, say, a mechanics light spark at all when you turn it on? Would one need to be particularly careful about how to use a light bulb (or something else not designed for a marine engine, like a heating pad) to heat a marine engine? e.g., turn it on BEFORE putting it in the bilge as compared to leaving it in the bilge & plugging it in from outside? Or are fumes not an issue if boat has been sitting unused for awhile in cold weather? Just curious as to whether HOW you heat the bilge could present a bigger problem than just freezing the block...

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by wvit100:<br /> You'd do good to drain the water from the engine after every use in the winter. All it would take would be for the power to go out in a storm and your engine would be junk.
I like this Answer,.......... Even Better than My Own............... ;) <br /><br />This is what I do, every year from Sept. thru Dec....... Even though Mine is sitting on the Trailer......6 drains,+ I'm Safe....

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ok...had a thought...<br />Anybody ever try using the water pipe heaters on there boat engine?<br /><br /> Water Pipe Heater <br /><br />Do you think it would be effective?<br /><br />-JustMrWill