• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Keep from Freezing

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep from Freezing

I have heard many ways to keep my engine from freezing over the winter (I keep the boat in the water year round and use her) I have the 100 watt light bulb in the bulge and it seems to work. vents covered.What I would like to know if anyone has tried block heaters? They are held to the oil pan with a magnet. My concern is as there is only about 6 inches of clearence from the bottom of the pan to the bottom of the boat will I risk cooking the glass bottom? or is there an alternate location to put it where it will be just as effective.I own a 1977 Chevy 5/7L (mercriser 250)

Re: Keep from Freezing

Those don't get terribly hot. It can be mounted on the side of the oil pan rather than the bottom. That's about the only alternative. I like that better than the lightbulb. But if you're in the water and that's above 40 degrees, it can get awfully cold outside and not freeze the block. Pull it out of the water and all bets are off.
    Hey, Have you seen? They make Really Cool life preservers nowadays.
    So "Looking Dorky" is no longer an excuse for not wearing one.

Comment

It Seems it would do more good if it was mounted to the Block........You need to heat the Block,+ Manifolds..... Not the Oil......How about Under the manifolds, next to the engine block,...?????How many Watts is it rated ???Will it be alright when it gets Wet in the bilge ??????
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Had a customer do all those things and he froze the water inlet line from the seacock to the pump.
        NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

Go here WWW.bensaco.com Marine engine heaters designed specifically for this application.

Comment

Click here this ought to cure your problem.
            Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
            That is what the forums are for.
            Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, same link, same time, you owe me a beer Merc
              Don S.

sigpic

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
              That is what the forums are for.
              Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Now that was weired! nice timing Don S! I have one in my carpet cleaning truck. 750 watt model keeps extended Chevy Van above freezing SAFELY. I have a truckmounted machine powered by a gas engine in there so I'm concerned about FIRES and EXPLOSIONS.

Comment

Comment

You'd do good to drain the water from the engine after every use in the winter. All it would take would be for the power to go out in a storm and your engine would be junk.

Comment

I love living in Florida

Comment

I remember oil dipstick heaters. You replaced the existing dipstick with this heater and it kept the oil warm.Anyone tried them?

Comment

wife pulled her car into our detached, uninsulated garage. Its 15 degrees here and has been for 3 days. Snow melted off her car. That 750 watt marine heater is heating the truck which is heating the garage.

Comment

so far I have lost 2 motors. actually not me but my customers, they brought them in today for winterizing a few days to late. no my problem now. we sent them all letters in october. we will repower come spring. the last 3 days have been very nice. if I winterize below 35 degrees I charge 150 an hour I did 5 in the last 3 days all below 29 degrees 3 have sat since august.
                            no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
                            you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Comment

Nothing like waiting till the last minute, Rodbolt, eh? "3 have sat since august" ???? Glad to see these people have money to throw around for new engines! (And it's job security for you marine mechanics!) I always try and get my boat winterized around the same time each year(end of october). My mechanic told me that when he starts getting a real large back log into the end of december, he'll tell the people to swing by with the boat if they are nervous of freezing and he'll at least pull the drain plugs off the block.

Comment

Working...
                              X