Merc 470 Pre-Alpha Outdrive Power Trim, why 3 control buttons?

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have this in an '80 Glas Ply. I don't understand why there are 3 buttons for the power trim. I only move the outdrive up and down for trailering and motoring. I use the trim tabs for triming the boat while away. So, why are there 3 buttons?

They're labeled

O UP
O UP/OUT
O IN

UP and UP/OUT bring the outdrive up (have to be pushed together) and IN brings the outdrive down.

thanks,
monte

thumpar

Admiral
Re: Merc 470 Pre-Alpha Outdrive Power Trim, why 3 control buttons?

One is for trim up, one for trailer up (all the way) and the other is for down.

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One is for trim up, one for trailer up (all the way) and the other is for down.

Should I just be hitting one button at a time? I've been using IN for down, and UP and UP/OUT at the same time for trailering. I'll check it tomorrow to see if I can use one button at a time.

I think I get what you are describing, UP would be a small amount of up trim movement (not sure if that button will do anything by itself), IN would be down, and UP/OUT would be for trailering.

thanks,
monte

thumpar

Admiral

I am not too firmiliar with that setup but I think the way it should work is down is just down, then you should be able to trim with one button. It should stop before it gets too far. Then to trailer you need both so you don't accidentally hit it when running. If you can't trim with one button it is probably a problem with the sensor or wiring.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

O UP
O UP/OUT
O IN

Up, up/out: together raise the outdrive all the way limited by cylinders being fully extended
up/out: alone raise the outdrive through the trim limit switch, limiting the up travel
in: down till it limited by the cylinders being all the way retracted

Run all the way down and hit up/out, outdrive should come part way up and stop. If it does not, your trim limit switch or wiring are bad.

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Up, up/out: together raise the outdrive all the way limited by cylinders being fully extended
up/out: alone raise the outdrive through the trim limit switch, limiting the up travel
in: down till it limited by the cylinders being all the way retracted

Run all the way down and hit up/out, outdrive should come part way up and stop. If it does not, your trim limit switch or wiring are bad.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Monte