Spraying oil out of timing chain cover. Change 3 times

61sunliner61

Cadet
Here is the deal: Replaced a 2005 4.3 carb vortec Mercruiser with a rebuilt Vortec long block (we just had to put on the tin). Everything bolted up fine including the oil pan. After putting the correct amount of oil in the pan (original dipstick and tube), the oil showed 2 1/2 qts low. Not big deal, right? Well, after starting engine the timing cover developed leak. So, pulled engine etc replaced with new timing cover and oil pan gasket. Now, have done this 3 times. Took it to a mechanic and the same thing happened.

It is not leaking at idle but, spraying at high rpm's. The oil pressure looks fine but, the #1 cylinder lifter will run dry quick. Has anyone every experencied this before. I know that I have never even heard of this. Maybe out of the cam. Maybe the not the right oil pan, who knows. Help would be forever appreaciated.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Spraying oil out of timing chain cover. Change 3 times

Can't help but think you have the wrong dip stick and have way over-filled the oil. Alternatively, perhaps you have bad blow-by and a clogged crankcase vent.

61sunliner61

Cadet

Thank you. Only put 4 1/2 qts then 5 with filter change. Would a clooged crankcase vent cause the blow-by. Boat reading 58psi oil pressure when at high idle. Do you think that it could be the crank. The dipstick, dipstick tube is from the original engine and connects to the side of the orig oil pan. Is it possible that I have an incorrect oil pan for the block?

61sunliner61

Cadet

Maybe wrong timing chain cover? Blocking bottom vents?

WashmanToo

Recruit

Where does oil spray from the cover? any particular spot? everywhere?
the shaft seal?

Spraying or leaking?

61sunliner61

Cadet

For sure spraying. I looks like a water hose at 2:00 (NE) of harmonic balancer at 4200rpm's. Almost the least path of resentance. Can I run a wire to check bottom vents?

61sunliner61

Cadet

It is not coming from a pin hole the gasket is giving away about a 3" section. I have put new covers on everytime

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Are All of the oil galley core plugs properly In place in the front of the block...

adeneo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is not coming from a pin hole the gasket is giving away about a 3" section. I have put new covers on everytime

You are of course using plenty of sealant where the timing cover meets the oil pan, as just using the oem gasket is no good at all at the bottom part of the timing cover.
If oil is spraying out of the timing cover, you have to much oil pressure in the wrong place, and something is most definitely wrong.
Maybe Bond-o's right, that the gallery plugs are missing or loose, but this usually results in very low oil pressure as well.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

But it would explain the lifter going dry

61sunliner61

Cadet

Thanks all. When you say galley plugs are you aware of a diagram or something to refer to when I pull the engine once more tomorrow?

61sunliner61

Cadet

For sure the lifter is losing pressure, I am just not sure that the oil is ever making it there. Being a new engine my mechanic stated that a little "steam" is normal out of the valve cover the first 10 hours, until the rings seat. I have never noticed this but usually never had my head under a car hood. Wondering if the rebuild could of had a cracked ring. Thanks again for all of the help

Pete104

Lieutenant

Rebuilt vortec from who? By who? Whoever did the rebuild, what is thier definition of "rebuild"!?

61sunliner61

Cadet

Yes no kidding it was a company that I found on the internet out of Miami. I guess you get what you pay for!

WashmanToo

Recruit

For sure spraying. I looks like a water hose at 2:00 (NE) of harmonic balancer at 4200rpm's.

When you describe the area of the leak as 2:00 (NE) of harmonic balancer are you talking at the edge of the timing cover? (ie the gasket it self?)

"The oil pressure looks fine" what constitutes "fine"?

When it leaks, . .. ... has the leak been in the same spot each time?

Meaning, everytime you have resealed and replaced the gasket does the leak occur in the same place each time a leak develops?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks all. When you say galley plugs are you aware of a diagram or something to refer to when I pull the engine once more tomorrow?

Nope,... Ain't got a picture, but,...
Under the timing cover, behind the cam gear are 2 or 3 oil galley plugs...
I'm guessin' the 1 nearest the NE of the cover isn't sealed...
That would put 58 psi of oil pressure, where it should only see falling drainback oil...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

attachment.php

Attachments

• Oil plugs.jpg
    Oil plugs.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0

61sunliner61

Cadet

Not sure what happened to my last post but, it never made it on here. Thank all of you for your help! Our long planned (needed) vacation is on the line.

I am going to pull cam gear and post photo of everything. I cut the cover in half and to me it looks like the gasket and cover obstruct the return gallery's. The cover is a 6 bolt cover intended for the 96-97 vortec has anyone had this issue.

The first couple of times used sealant the last I did not. I am thinking of buying a new tube (who knows) maybe it was bad. Has anyone had any luck cuting of the lip on the back of the timing cover. I thought that I could give it a try without pulling engine. If it did not spray then pull the engine and do it right.

The leak is coming from right side of timing cover. It changes a little each time but generally the same place and the pressure is still 58psi