My Merc 470 rebuild

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Merc 470 rebuild

"Getting the right parts is fun huh?"

Its a blast... (sarcasm)

I just hate loosing days because of a single gasket missing.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a side pic of the engine, this is the fabricated copper fuel pipe we made. its not as exact as the OEM but i have more then enough room in the dog house. Plus this way keeps the fuel line away from the heat.

262427_10150279818706881_681866880_8110038_1561407_n.jpg

Here is a front view

300030_10150279817481881_681866880_8110000_3147543_n.jpg

Still a work in progress. And yes i know we didnt do very well on the paint job, but honestly i can care less about that. I only care it runs like new when were done :)

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

UPDATE:

Another day lost waiting for parts to arrive... dam the wrong gaskets!! Hopefully tomorrow the engine will see some more action.

Volphin

Lieutenant

The boat was dry docked, on bricks for roughly one year.
To be honest i am not really sure what to look for in the stringers and transom. I jumped around the cabin some to see if i felt like i was gonna fall through or find any really weak spots. It felt solid. In the dog house, the only rotted part is by where one of the batteries was. I dont think the wood there is vital to the boat structure, and it can be fixed easily. Everything else seems solid and does not rattle.

Also with the gas tank, i am not really sure what to do with that either. This tank cant be taken out even with the engines out. I smell a small gas vapor through the fill hole, but we havent had the chance to digdeeper. I stuck in a rubber tube and blew, seems the tank is empty. Worst case i may need to have it professionally treated, which i know is not cheap.

much lies ahead, now i am starting to think the engine rebuild may be the easy part.....

Here are some pics of the boat, taken with a phone and my daughter is in them.

Inside Cabin ---- Starboard View
View attachment 109069 ---- View attachment 109070

Port View ---- Future Capitan
View attachment 109071 ---- View attachment 109072

Those tags are old as i am in FL :)

i will take some photos of the engines too. For now they are still pretty much to the bone, with only the block, crank, cam, and pistons installed.
Also if you notice the trailer... The axels were blown, i just had 2 new 3500lb torsion axels installed.
And once im done with the mechanics and electrical, the boat will get a new paint job.

This is an awesome project! Looks like a great job so far... and your future Cap'n is super cute! :)

V

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

She just turned 5 and asks just about everyday... Daddy can we use the boat today? it hurts to say "not yet"

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I would suggest getting rid of the copper fuel line. Copper has a tendency to crack. A better alternative is to go down to the local auto parts and get a length of 3/8" metal fuel line to whatever length you need, and bend it up like you did the copper. Here's what I ended up doing:

DSCF5702.jpg

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes i agree and understand all of this mercruiser470fan; I like this engine because after a bit of research and tinkering its a fairly straightforward marine application, which is used alot still. Of course there will be the nay sayers, and the enthusiasts, i am just practical. I got these engines with my boat, and i decided to rebuild them because all the parts were there, and the blocks are in good shape. I had my machinist inspect the cam (i never took it out of the block), which he said a replacement is not needed, not even a sleeve. When i removed the timing cover and impeller i can see there was no leaks, no rust.. looked good actually. And i know this is a well known issue, so while installing the new cam seals we took our time and made sure it was done right.

As far as the push rods go, you can see from my pictures above, we have already installed them on the lifters and also installed the rocker arms on the rods, everything seemed to fit nicely. The rods i ordered were made for this SN 470, and compared to the replaced rods, they were the same. So i am hoping this will not be an issue.

I also have the ARCO starter which i understand will last many more start ups. We actually replaced the oil pump for a new one and installed it carefully for sure.

appreciate the tips :)

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fishermark,

Yup for sure you are correct. We will replace the line before we install the engine in the boat.

Thanks!

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,
If I hear any knocking sounds i will inspect it. If i need to check or change them its as simple as taking off the rocker cover and rocker arms. Replacing push rods is not an issue if it ever does arise.

Although it is an important part, it is not as worrysome as other parts which requires engne removal for repairs :)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

It could be a problem if a too long rod holds the valve open and the piston hits it. It doesn't look like too much of a problem to make the tool.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alot will be revealed once we are ready to fire up the engine for the first time. I dont expect there to be issues, my father is very experienced mechanicaly and he took care of most of the internals.

Still we are waiting for the exhaust manifold to riser gasket to come in... so no progress made for past the few days... that blows

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can someone please link to me which electronic ignition upgrade set to get for this engine?

I am growing tired of getting wrong parts..... So much conflicting info out there, its amazing.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Can someone please link to me which electronic ignition upgrade set to get for this engine?

I am growing tired of getting wrong parts..... So much conflicting info out there, its amazing.

Petronix Igtnitor II (#91146A) with the epoxy 0.6 ohm Flamethrower II coil (#45111) (the oil filled one should be OK too, a few bucks cheaper). Remove the purple resistance wire from the coil and splice a stranded wire into the choke wire for direct full 12V to the coil + and the red Petronix unit wire.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I lack computer skills. This article is great! How may I send this article via electronic mail to my son who is mechnical engineer?

With your mouse right click on the hyperlink (blue words;)) and left click on "send link". Your e-mail should pop up and just put in his address. You could also do a "copy link" and paste it in another document or whatever.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my 2006 470 rebuild, I reused the cam and used speedi sleeves. I have 32 hours so far since the rebuild and good luck so far. My problem is poor weather in south florida this year and not much time to use my boat.

I ended up getting new lifters and rods. And so far all is well and everything fits just fine :).

Also while i agree on replacing the camshaft for good measure, we are on a limited budget and are trying to salvage any parts which are not dead. Probably like the majority of people ;). Luckily the camshaft we have, according to our machinist is not worn at all where the seals go, so this is not something we will replace during our rebuild on this particular motor. The next one we dont know yet...

Today since we have yet to get the dam gasket for the exhaust riser delivered, we decided to build a engine stand on wheels which we can start and test the engines on. We have an engine stand from the store which is too flimsy to test anything on, but great for working on the motor with.

We were very careful to follow instructions on the torque specs and procedures. As well as just about everything else that had precise directions, like crank bearings, timing chains, etc...

Convincing my father that we need to retorque after 20 hours is not an easy task. I already mentioned it to him and he looked at me like i was insane... torque each bolt with complete clearance to 130lbs is not easy... Now doing it while the engine is in the boat and rods and rockers are installed.. hah.

"MerCruiser has a service bulletion about the break in oil they recommend be used for the first 20 hours. "
Can you elaborate on this? I went to walmart and got the filter and a bunch of 25w40 bottles, and i planned on pouring them in tomorrow... What break in oil are you reffering to? Or which service bulliton?

Basically we are still waiting on the gasket to come in, afterwards it should be fairly quick for us to fire up the engine for the first time. Will post pics of the stand i am talking about... they are on my phone and i just need to get them on my pc, but i am lazy right now...

Stonyloam: Thanks for the part number!!

Now i am off to play some madden 12... the kid in me :cool:

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres a few pics of the stand and mini (for in garage use) A frame we made today.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

bubbadabulldawg

Recruit

I'm doing the same type of conversion with the alternator and ign. I bought my 105 amp alt from Db Electric $65 brand new making the same brackets myself but my upper is different than yours. The only item I don't have is the belt can you give me the number? I could not justify spending that much for the kit when I've spent only $90 for the alt, steel, bolts, nuts and spacer. I also did the speed sleeves because my water pump was leaking.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

The belt that came with my conversion kit which i purchased from breezeworks is 10A1285. I paid roughly $300 for the kit, but it probably saved me a few days of tinkering with metal and probably saved me a few fingers too... Price well worth it and service was A+.