Replacing Bellows on Mercruiser Outboard!!

MercPower

Cadet
So I noticed that at least one of the bellows needs to be replaced. If that's the case, might as well change them all! And the main drive bearing while I'm at it.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what I need to do? It appears I will need to drop the outboard, never done this before. Or if someone has an easier method..

From what I saw on youtube it seems like you just take off the prop, pull the pin holding the rams, unbolt the six bolts at the top of the out drive, give it a good hard jolt then VOILA!

If only things could be this easy... :rolleyes:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replacing Bellows on Mercruiser Outboard!!

Ayuh,... I generally replace ALL the rubber parts, 'n the lower shift cable when I go that deep....

In the Adults Only section at the top of this forum is a Gold Mine of Info 'bout yer motor, 'n drive, including the factory Manuals...

MercPower

Cadet

Thanks for the info! How much do you think a shop would charge to do this?? If not an arm and a leg, might be worth it.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the info! How much do you think a shop would charge to do this?? If not an arm and a leg, might be worth it.

Donno,... I don't pay people to do things I can do myself...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

transom kit is around 200, shift cable kit 90 ,on a good day 4 hrs labor. THAT DEPENDS on how easy it all comes apart.

Brewman61

Ensign

Pulling the outdrive isn't too bad. Based on your posts you don't seem to have any experience doing this type of work, so read the service manual on your outdrive to determine the level of work involved. If you do a lot of wrenching on your vechicles, you'll probalby be able to pull this off yourself. Call a couple mechanics and get a couple quotes on the work you want done. I'm guessing around here a bearing and full bellows replacement would be creeping close to $1000. Depends on what they find when the open things up. If your u joing bellows is torn for example, and you've hade water intrusion, expect to shoot past $1000 very quickly! In addition to the parts you'll need to purchase, you may also need to acquire some tools, depending on what you do or don't already own. An out drive stand for instance, would be highly recommended, you can make one if you're handy.

MercPower

Cadet

Donno,... I don't pay people to do things I can do myself...

Amen to that.

I'm pretty handy with a wrench and mechanically inclined. I've replaced drive shafts in cars before, pulled rear-ends, tore down engines.. i'm pretty sure If I had a service manual I'd be able to do it. A grand is DEF out of my range and not worth it. I'm lookin at another month and a half or so left in the season, guess I'll just keep an eye on the water and use my bilge pump when needed.

At least it'll give me somethin to do during the winter season :)

Thanks guys

Bondo

Staff member

guess I'll just keep an eye on the water and use my bilge pump when needed.

Ayuh,... Not only is yer boat Sinking,...
Yer ruinin' more parts by runnin' it...