alternator not charging battery

moffitt77

Cadet
I replaced the coil as mentioned in my last thread, took the boat out 2 days ago for an hour and a half with no trouble. Normal boat and float. Took it out again today, rode for about 15 minutes then sat and cleaned while listening to the radio for 20 minutes. Then drove back to the dock to pick some people up. Then drove for about 10 minutes, hooked up the tube and the battery was dead. Hooked up my back up battery and was able to get it started and didn't shut it off for the next hour and a half while hauling tubers, so my previous problem was fixed. It has a new alternator, but when I picked it up the shop told me that it didn't or shouldn't charge the battery, just provide electricity for the motor to run. That doesn't seem right to me. I got the battery checked out today and it is fine. Cleaned the terminals on the battery and cables and re-charging both batteries. Any suggestions about why the alternator wouldn't/shouldn't charge my battery? I know it does on my cars. thanks.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: alternator not charging battery

the shop told me that it didn't or shouldn't charge the battery

the shop is wrong

the reason there is an alternator is to charge the battery(s)

to check for a charge, set engine speed at 1500-2000 rpm in neutral and use a volt meter to measure output at the batteries and the alternator output stud, should be about 14.5 volts or so