Transom mounting Templates for i/o's

Stan's Customs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know where to get any infornation on transom mounting templates for Mercruiser and OMC I/O's? I would like to know which ones can interchange and any other related information you can point me to.<br /><br />I haven't been able to find a single tidbit of information for i/o transom cut outs on the internet after several attempts.<br /><br />Thanks to all..Stan

Laddies

Banned
Re: Transom mounting Templates for i/o's

mercury has a jig,but the only people that would have one would be someone who does a lot of installions

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may have an installation template for mercruiser somewhere around here. I'll look and see if I can find it and get back to you later.<br /><br />James

Stan's Customs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys...<br /><br />On another thread it is thought that the old 260 mercruiser (1979) and the 1988 Cobra template holes are the same..If that is correct it is going to save me a bundle.<br /><br />Just trying to find some information that will verify that....or not.<br /><br />Thanks...Stan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check with your local Mercruiser dealer, they probably have one.<br />Geezzzzz, doesn't anyone ever think local anymore? Does everything have to be done on the internet?

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Find a old, dead boat.<br /><br />Boat repair shops, or grave yards usually have one or two laying around with the gimbal ring pulled off. Then you can make your own by putting a piece of cardboard over the hole, and hammering around it. You'll get a good enough impression to make yourself a pattern/template.

Stan's Customs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good morning Don, gents...<br /><br /> There isn't a local dealer in my neck of the woods. Now there are several places to buy new boats, but no service team. Well maybe a kid out back hanging new outboards. or there may be a lady there to sell accessories or order simple stuff if you are lucky...That's why I'm bothering you gentlemen.... and searching the internet.<br /> However, I do have a call in to a local fiberglass man that does transom repair ,...his family has been in the business a long time. The old man is gone now but maybe he'll know, he's a pretty sharp young fellow. Does excellent work. <br /><br />Most dealer's servicemen are familar with one product anyway...Mercruiser guys, OMC guys etc....(kinda like Ford guys, Chevy guys) The independents are the best shot around here and they say it won't interchange...but you can tell they really are unsure, just to busy to worry about it. (old junk to them..not worth their time)<br /><br />That's why I thought I'd get on the net, order a Mercruiser template and a Cobra template...express mail and walla 2 or 3 days. I'd know for sure. No hassle and no guess work.....and no bother to busy shops.<br /><br />Wouldn't you know the source is elusive, can't find anything. Go figgure..<br /><br />Stan

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the merc normally uses the same pattern as the cobra. the mounting holes are some different but the cutout is basically the same. sometimes it will require minor trimming. the paper templates are avalible for both. cut out and tape to the transome. transfer all the marks and enjoy life. remember to coat any bare wood from drilling,triming or cutting with epoxy to seal it or rot will start. seems most all the units are trying to use the same cutout now, or at least all the newer design ones.

Bondo

Staff member

rodbolt's right on the money.... Again......<br /><br />The holes in question are Very Close to the Same.......<br />Well within the reach of a die-grinder, anyway.....<br /><br />Mercruisers of Your vintage use 6 bolts to retain everything....<br />Alpha 1. GenIIs,+ Bravos use the Same cut-out, but have 2 extra bolt holes near the top......<br />I'm not exactly Sure.... But the OMC might need a little Trimming, or Very little Filling, But is basicly the Same.........<br /><br />For a Template, I cut a piece out of an old Starcraft, about 2 1/2'Sq., with the outdrive Hole in it,+ the bottom of the transom clearly defined.......<br />When I fill the transom on a boat that Had an OMC Stringer Drive, I can hold this plate up,+ determine Exactly Where I need to Cut.........<br /><br />When I have a Donor Boat laying around, I cut out a Plug from the donor(Merc.) boat,+ epoxy it into the Transom Last... then blend in the edges.......<br />Then all I need to do is Cut-out the Wood...............<br />just make Sure that Nothing is Hitting anything.......<br />A little Bigger, is better than Parts Interferance.......<br /><br />Good Luck...

Stan's Customs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats good news Rodbolt..backs up what Don S is thinking<br /><br />The Mercruiser is an "older" unit (1979) and the Cobra is 1988. So I was just trying to be absolutely sure before I tear them down. Got any idea where to buy the templates ??<br /><br />Regards ..Stan

Don S

You can order the template from Merc parts, see link below. The part number for the template is <br />90-79135 5<br />In Merc numbers, put in the space between the two fives or you will not get it to come up on their site.<br /><br /> Mercruiser Parts

Stan's Customs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Bondo...<br /><br />Good to hear from you. I figured Don and Rod bolt were right ...as you said "again"<br /><br />Thanks for your input on the procedure you use...as long as it's close enough to fix by trimming a little or by filling a couple of holes we are good to go. I just don't want to make a big project out of this edgy old boat....like daylight around the outdrive, ha!<br /> All I want is a solid and reliable utility boat for our grand kids to ski behind and more mature nephews to use unchaperoned at our familty reunion. I'm gettin' a little long in the tooth to be worrying worrying about a scrape or a spill in the boat, like I used to in real nice boats years back. Plus, I know who'll be working on the thing, during our gatherings, if it isn't rock solid mechanically..<br /> <br />All I have to do now find a template..since I don't have a doner boat.<br /><br />Thanks again ...Stan

Bondo

Staff member

All I have to do now find a template..since I don't have a doner boat.
Stan, <br />You've got 2 boats, Both with the Right Hole........<br />Of Course You've got a Template..... You're only going to Use 1 of these boats.....<br />The Other 1 is Your Donor Boat.......<br /><br />Go for It......<br />You Don't Need a template, Anyway.....<br />Just grab your Merc. transom assembley,+ Go To Town.......<br />The Most you're going to Need is a Die-Grinder........And, Maybe a cup of Epoxy................... ;)

Don S

Stan, re read my post above, you can order the template from Merc and it's only $4.50. I even gave you the part number to order.

Stan's Customs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Bondo<br /><br />Well... really I have two running boats and one old '79 boat and outdrive. I would have a template "after" I tear one down...Just wanted to be sure I wasn't tearing one down for nothing.<br /><br />Someone would love to have either running boat I don't use, if I don't have to canabalize it....they both have a lot of potential. That's why the old Mercruiser drive working on the OMC Cobra will save me a bundle.. The unused boat will still have some value to the right person...and I'd probably even make a little since I bought it right.<br /><br />Which ever one I do will be done right....I want to do it once and only once. Unless of course it got to pricey than I'd bail out of both of them and find a better starting place. They are both moneymakers till I start rebuilding...then the year model would limit what they would bring if sold....mechanically perfect or not.<br /><br />You have simplified the situation ..so much that the template isn't an issue it seems. That's what I was hoping to hear, gives me lots of leeway.<br /><br />I can look forward to spending a little more on the engine this way..Nothing like a little extra "oomph" to make you smile when you hammer down.<br /><br />Happy Days...Stan

Stan's Customs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi again Don S..<br /><br />I had the post started when my wife called me for lunch, when I came back Ijust hurriedly finished the post without going back to see if there were some additiona posters.<br /><br />That's great..I really appreciate the link. I will put it to good use, thanks for all your input on this. You are the one that first let me know that I might not have to use the OMC,if I had spare Mercruiser. I am real proud of that information....it got things going on this project.<br /><br />You guys have been a real help on determining a feasible way to make a "good old boat" without taking out a loan, Ha!<br /><br />Very much appreciate the help...Stan