DELCO EST Voyager Ignition Kit... HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcitrin

Cadet
I bought a DELCO EST Voyager Ignition Kit but it didn't come with the install instructions. It is for the Mercruiser 4.3LX V6. Does anyone have a copy of the manual they could PM or email me?

Thanks,
Kris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

kcitrin

Cadet
Re: DELCO EST Voyager Ignition Kit... HELP

Thanks for the link... but I have a 1996 Mercruiser 4.3LX it looks like those instructions are for a 3.0. Also, am I supposed to remove the Thunderbolt IV module all together? I am a little confused on how or what I am supposed to do.

Thanks,
Kris

Don S

Why are you replacing it at all?
What is wrong with the ignition system you have? and it should be the TB V not IV.

kcitrin

Cadet

I am replacing it because according to the Mercruiser ignition chart it is bad. I have already replace all the other ignition parts so this is the last item. This is a more cost effective way to fix than buying a new module... but the instructions are missing so I am stuck.

This boat is a 1997 with a Mercruiser 4.3LX Gen+ Alpha and Thunderbolt IV ignition.

I have had a few posts on here about the issues I have been experiencing... honestly at wits end with this issue so I am praying this will finally solve the problem.

Pete104

Lieutenant

I just went & looked at some prior posts. Have done any troubleshooting of the fuel system? Your throwing parts at it like a wild man! SLOW down, think & talk about it.

kcitrin

Cadet

Yes, the carb has been rebuilt, new fuel pump and water separator. I checked the filter at the carb which was clean. There isn't a problem with the fuel... it has good spray from jets. Basically the boat will start and run great for up to an hour then... it dies. After it dies there is no spark and won't start again for hours... usually have to leave it overnight then it will start and run great for up to an hour then it dies... repeat process...

Kris

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That happened with my Thunderbolt IV too.. The boat would run, then stop running out of nowhere. I thought it was a fuel problem initially, but I had my friend crank it while I sprayed starting fluid down the carb, still wouldn't run. Checked for spark, no spark. Troubleshooted the ignition, bad amplifier. That's why I replaced it with a Delco Voyager EST system - the link that Don gave you was my thread about the shift interrupt not working. Now the motor runs great and setting the base timing was really easy. Make sure you follow the diagram Don provided in my thread with the purple wires and make sure you do not hook them up at the terminal block. That caused me about 5 fuses and hours of aggravation. Good luck

kcitrin

Cadet

Ok so now I need to know do I keep the ignition module and just cut the wires needed for the Delco or do I toss the module all together? I am really confused about how or what I need to do to get the wiring correct... there are 7 or 8 wired connected to the module but it appears I only need to use a couple of them... any help is greatly appreciated!!

Kris

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

out of the box you should have , green /white, red/white, black, grey, and purple! only five if it is thunderbolt IV, but if you swapping everything toss the module away you don't need all those wires, that is what i did .

kcitrin

Cadet

The Thunderbolt IV Module part # 807829-1 has an 8 pin connector on it I can't look at the wiring connector at the moment but I believe it also has 8 wires... this part was only used in 96-97 from what I have read.

kcitrin

Cadet

So I have everything hooked up and she stared right up... haven't timed her yet but will first thing in the morning. My only issue is now my shift interupter isn't working. I connected it according to the thread Don pointed me too but after looking at the diagrams I may be missing one of the wiring connectors. I only have the timing shunt... is this the one I should connect one of the wires from the interupter too or should there be another one? The only noticable difference I can see is the shunt has a white wire that is looped and the pictures show a connector with 2 white wires that aren't connected to anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris

djmakko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to the same trouble those two wires hangin out instead of looping , do we supposed to cut them off and keep the connector hooked up, according to the instructions and some you tube video i saw the shunt connector its only to set the timing but, on the diagram shows it on, with the two white wires hanging out.Im confused/

Don S

Yes, you have to cut the white looped wire, but don't get rid of it, it has to be hooked up when you want to set the timing, or check it.
It has to be hooked up like this picture from the other post. I doesn't matter how many spark plug wires in the distributor cap, that has nothing to do with it.

attachment.php

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your system should provide 2 separate plugs, one for setting timing (with a black wire and a looped white wire) and one for use (single black wire only, no looped wires). If you have both, you don't need to cut anything. If you only have the plug with the white looped wire then you will need to cut it after you set your timing. Follow the instructions to set base timing, and then use the plug with the single black wire (or cut the looped wire) to connect the shift interrupt. Connect one end of the shift interrupt to that black wire, and the other to the purple wire as shown in the diagram. And don't connect them at the terminal block - as I mentioned before, I did that and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Don helped me out with that one too - thanks!

kcitrin

Cadet

Thanks for all the information!! I will set the timing this morning and test on the water... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will finally fix the issue. I'll post the results later.

Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.