mercruiser 470 oil filter

bawla47

Cadet
Im tryin to find the oil filters that i can use. i tried doing some research, but kinda came up short. <br /><br />it currently has a <br />mercury 35-802885T oil filter. <br /><br />i found that i could also use <br />WIX 51086 <br /><br />its a mercruiser 470 btw. Is there any other oil filters i can go with? Ive tried a few shop manuals, booklets, with no luck. Any help is apreciated!<br /><br />Thanks !<br /><br />Jay D.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 470 oil filter

That is a standard Chevy 5.0 or 5.7L V8 oil filter.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Same format:<br /><br />Baldwin B360<br />WIX 51086<br />Napa 1086<br />Purolator Premium Plus L24736<br />Hastings LF283<br /><br />Taller format:<br /><br />WIX 51060<br />Baldwin B1428<br />Napa 1060<br />Purolator Premium Plus L34631<br />Hastings LF279<br />K&N 3002<br /><br />Details:<br /><br />www.oilfilterstudy.com

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

I think you need to make sure the filter you pick has a anti-drain back valve in it.

bawla47

Cadet

damn, your the man garycinn!! just what i was lookin to get. <br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by muc:<br /> I think you need to make sure the filter you pick has a anti-drain back valve in it.
How would i find out which ones have it, and which ones dont?

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

All of the above filters have ADBV's and do not have by-pass valves, which is what your application calls for.<br /><br />You can tell if a filter has an ADBV by looking at the inlet holes (the circle of small holes). If it has a rubber type seal, that's the ADBV.<br /><br />I should have added the venerable AC Delco PF1218 to the list of larger format filters above.<br /><br />Don't use the AC Delco PF25 or PF35 as they do not have an ADBV. If you wanted to use an AC Delco and didn't have room for the PF1218, you could use the PF454, as it does have an ADBV. However, the PF454 is smaller than the standard Merc filter.<br /><br />After taking apart ~20 filters that fit the V6 remote and V8 Mercs and sending the media off to labs, personally I'm running a Hastings LF279 in my boat. It filters better than the standard Merc (smaller pores), it flows better because it has more media, your sump has more oil (~1/2 quart), and it appears to be built better -- with many physical specs being bigger/better. Like the filters listed in my first post, it has the same important characteristics -- ADBV, thread, gasket, etc as the Merc. After all of that it also happens to be 1/2 the price and it is more easily accessible to me.<br /><br />The GM applications are easier to match than others that have the by-pass valve in the filter. Since the Merc / GM blocks have the by-pass on the block, we don't have to worry about that in the filter -- and the specs for it being different.

DHPMARINE

Captain

With a list price of $7.03 for the genuine Merc filter,why experiment?(most shops probably charge $6.95 - $7.95).You could also mail order 6 or so to keep shipping charges down.<br /><br />DHP

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by DHPMARINE:<br /> With a list price of $7.03 for the genuine Merc filter,why experiment?(most shops probably charge $6.95 - $7.95).You could also mail order 6 or so to keep shipping charges down.
I guess because I needed to know if there was something better. That inquisition cost me $150 and a lot of time. I wanted to document it and share the results so everyone can make up their own mind. <br /><br />Wanting the best is the same reason I spend an extra $12 an oil change to get an oil analysis to see if I am getting water, fuel, extra wear, TBN depletion, thinning/shearing, etc.<br /><br />I think the Merc filter is decent, but I wanted the best regardless of cost. For me it is the Hastings. If I want better than the Merc and I want to spend more, I would use the K&N 3002. <br /><br />If I couldn't get a hold of a Hastings, K&N, Purolator PremPlus, I wouldn't have a hesitation at all using the Merc filter (but I would probably pay a couple of dollars more and buy the Merc Racing for the extra capacity/flow).

DHPMARINE

Captain

garycinn, Now I see your point.Makes sense.Usually a post about filters means someone wants to use the $1.99 aftermarket ones,and I say what's the point.<br /><br />DHP