454 Fuel/water seperator

Searay260cc

Seaman Apprentice
Background:
I have an 89 Searay 260 with a 454 merc in it. I thnk the engine itself is about 8 years old with about 190 hours on it.

The boat sat for a long time when i bought it, then from 2008 till now sat with no use. So I had the boat mechanic prep it and he rebuilt the carb etc. I have already put about 60 gallons in it since I put it back in the water (about 5-6 hours of use). So this season I have used it 3 times so far and mostly boat on the ocean up in Maine.

This past week end, I experienced something weird and let me explain. At 3000 rpm, the boat started suffocating as if it was not getting much fuel at high rpm. So the mecahnic said to change the fuel filter (what it called the fuel water seperator); that looks just like an oil filter. So I went ahead and bought the filter (Napa Gold 3225). It was replaced and the boat ran like new, even better than before.

My father in law said that on the ocean wit hteh waves etc, the fuel in the tank stirs up all the crap that has been sitting in it. The next day we take the boat out and after about 20 minutes, the same thing starts to happening. If we try to go above 3000 rpm the engine accelerates then loses power and stabilizes at 2500 rpm. as if fuel wasnt getting in at 3000 rpm.

So could it be the filter being clogged again and time to replace it?

Temp was steady at 145
Oil pressure was stable

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: 454 Fuel/water seperator

Yes & that's good. What's not good is the debris is running a chance of getting caught in the pick up tube, creating a clog there instead the filter.

Bondo

Staff member

So could it be the filter being clogged again and time to replace it?

Ayuh,... It's fulla Crud,...

Buy a 1/2 dozen of 'em,...
You're probably gonna need 'em...
Keep it changed, 'n clean...
Runnin' it like that'll detonate that motor into an Anchor in a very, Very short time...

crewscontrol

Seaman

Cut the old fuel filter open (careful - no sparks) and look between the paper pleats and see what is in there. If it is full of crud, keep changing them until you filter all the crud out or if possible remove the fuel tank and clean it out.

KetchiMan

Seaman

Had the exact same problem. My buddy had me remove the new filter-separator and pour teh contents into a clear jar. It was about half water. Replaced it with another filter and ran it for about 20 minutes. Removed it and poured it out again. Half full fo water again. Pumped out the tank and found over a gallon of water in it.

I'd suggest taking that filter/separator out and checking to see if there's water in it.

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd suggest taking that filter/separator out and checking to see if there's water in it.

I'd do the same -- and then check the condition of the element for dirt/crud afterwards. Keep repeating (filters are cheap). Assuming you're seeing water/gunk, if you don't see a decrease as your iterations go on, it's probably time to do something about that tank.

Searay260cc

Seaman Apprentice

Old thread but trying to see how to clean the tank?

Boating in Maine mostly. Maybe the ethanol mixture in the mid grade fuel is doing some thing to the filter?