Paint that sticks to props

Nauti n Nice

Recruit
Hello to all <br /> I got new props last year ! (dual prop volvo)It has been my experiance paint does not stay . So I stripped the new props and decieded to start from scratch .I failed as all the paint came off . These are aluminum . I did not use anything special . <br /> I was wondering if there is a good primmer / paint recommended ? <br /> <br /> Thought of powder coating , but thought the heat involved would have a negitive effect on the bushings ?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Paint that sticks to props

n<br />merc sells a two step paint set for aluminum to refinish there out drives i dont how it would hold up on a prop but it does last on the drive<br /><br />tommays

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> waste your cash elsewhere. like on seawater pumps and lube oil changes. in saltwater the sand and such will strip the paint. and you will notice cavitation burns along the aft prop blades. also in saltwater make sure you remove and grease them every 30 to 60 days or someone like me will cut them off.<br /> I probably cut 10 sets a year off the prop shaft. takes 1/12 hours per prop and 3 0r 4 wheels.<br /> sometimes more sometimes less :)

Nauti n Nice

Recruit

I may look into Eastwood products , I will try an etching primer , then paint . I mean all the paint came off , I thought the blades got large pits from electrolisis , but they were fine . <br /> As far as getting them off , I use anti-seize on them . No problems .<br /><br /> Thank you !

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Use OMC triple guard grease on the prop shaft, I take mine off once a season and the grease on the propshaft looks like new, and this is a salt water moored boat May-Nov.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

You will never get paint to stick to the prop. It may stay for a short time but the physics of cavitation is much stronger than any paint you can put on a prop.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Get yourself a case of cheap spray paint and touch it up as needed. You spin something 2000 times a min and add in silt, sand, salt, etc no paint will last that long.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nauti and Nice,ever think about just polishing the prop...no paint less work and looks good.you can always wax afterwards also to keep it looking good.Thats what I did with mine.Real time saver too.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Trilux Primer and then their Lower Unit and Prop paint.....works good enough for me

BillP

Captain

The only way to keep paint on a prop is to let it sit on the shelf.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I have found that one of the key things to keeping paint on a prop is to start painting the edges and finish by painting the edges.The rest is how you prepare the surface and the conditions in which you apply the paint.It is difficult to NOT touch a prop after prepping it for paint but every time you do,THAT is where the paint will come off first!Guaranteed.Another proven method I have found over the years is to paint a prop in direct sunlight while it is warmed up by the sun and let the paint bake in the sun.A vinegar wash prior to a zinc phosphate prime will promote adhesion of the primer.Zinc chromate has had less desirable results for me.Charlie