1977 mercruiser 165 stalling on acceleration

smoky812

Recruit
Ok guys, I have been fighting this problem for 4 years now, google has had some good suggestions' but still not the answer.

The problem, upon acceleration the engine spits and sputters and dies. The funny thing is it runs fine with a full tank of fuel until it burns about 2-3 gallons out. The lower the fuel level, the worse the problem and the slower i have to go. It sounds like the obvious pin hole in the pickup tube; but it is solid.

What I have tried from tank to carb.
pick up tube solid---vent tube open, anti siphon valve removed (just for testing)--fuel filters changed--new fuel line-- new fuel pump-- electronic ignition-- electric choke-- complete tune up--

I have an inline glass fuel filter, stays full after removing anti-siphon valve (was going empty), an inline turbine for fuel flow meter.

Could ethanol wrecked my carb? I know prolly a post in itself. I am at a loss.

Also tried a seperate fuel tank with a primer bulb and it ran fine forcing fuel through.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to cover all the basics to help with the right answer. Thanks!

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: 1977 mercruiser 165 stalling on acceleration

If you showing/telling things in order. Reinstall the original ignition! Do you know if the carb has ever had ANY attention? Ethenol won't ruin it, just make extra work!