5.7 mercruiser throttle hanging up or sticking ??

bigvgto

Recruit
Have a 96 265 Bayliner 5.7 2 barrel thunderbolt 5 ,So I just got mercarb rebuilt and installed and all adjustments done to it . Have a problem when in neutral and i rev it up to 2000 rpm or more the rpms dont come back down to normal idle 750 rpm , they stay at about 1500rpms and very very slowly will come down to around the normal idle rpm but takes a while if i push the throttle linkage bye hand it will go back to normal idle but defenatley not the way it use to be before rebuilt carb installed , maybe choke ,maybe linkage , ideal screw adjustment Any one out thier have any pointers they can give Me ?? Thanks MIKE

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 5.7 mercruiser throttle hanging up or sticking ??

Have a 96 265 Bayliner 5.7 2 barrel thunderbolt 5 ,So I just got mercarb rebuilt and installed and all adjustments done to it . Have a problem when in neutral and i rev it up to 2000 rpm or more the rpms dont come back down to normal idle 750 rpm , they stay at about 1500rpms and very very slowly will come down to around the normal idle rpm but takes a while if i push the throttle linkage bye hand it will go back to normal idle but defenatley not the way it use to be before rebuilt carb installed , maybe choke ,maybe linkage , ideal screw adjustment Any one out thier have any pointers they can give Me ?? Thanks MIKE

Ayuh,... Readjust the throttle cable so it's putting tension on the idle screw of the carb...
Then redo yer work, as it sounds like ya might have a vacuum leak somewhere...

bigvgto

Recruit
Re: 5.7 mercruiser throttle hanging up or sticking ??

thanks Bond-o I did what you said, and works perfect now thanks alot