Oil Filter for mercruiser 5.0L (220Hp) alpha 1

boataholic

Recruit
Am tired of paying top dollar for someone else to change oil and filter. How can I determine what oil filter I need to buy to replace the one on my boat.<br />Can I replace with standard auto filter? If so, how do I determine which one? :confused:

Laddies

Banned
Re: Oil Filter for mercruiser 5.0L (220Hp) alpha 1

yes. go to your auto parts store buy a good paper filter {not one wiht rag or some other off the wall filter material} mercuiser 5/0 is a small block chev. wix #51061

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What sort of OUTBOARD is a Mercruiser 5.0, BH?<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Please use the correct forum.<br /><br />I will move this to the Mercruiser, etc. Forum for you.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Do a search on this site or search the web for bobtheoilguy and you will find lots of reading.<br /><br />Your block is a chevy so you don't need something exotic. You can find a filter that will work anywhere that sells oil filters. <br /><br />I personally use K&N filters available for about $10 at my local autoparts store.<br /><br />Welcome to Iboats.

simple

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by boataholic:<br />Can I replace with standard auto filter? If so, how do I determine which one? :confused:
Being new to boat engine maintenance myself, I called a boat dealer and asked this exact same question. I did this before I saw this thread. The guy told me that automotive oil filters are not the same and won't give the same protection.<br />Now, I'm not saying that the advice given so far is wrong, but I'm confused. Can we get more input on this issue?<br /><br />Is this just a marketing tool by mercruiser because they want people to use their part, but in reality any oil filter will work? The oil filter on my mercruiser looks the same size as my ac delco filter on my Z71. I use a PF52 on my truck.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Both of my 4.3's use the same size oil filter as my 4x4 1998 suburban. I have a 1991 4.3 in one boat and a 2003 in the other. They both use delco pf-52 or,god forbid a fram ph3980.<br />Good luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The answer to the original posters question is YES, you can use an automotive filter, after all, it is an automotive engine.<br />Just remember one thing, all filters are not created equal. If you don't want to use a Mercruiser, Volvo, or OMC filter, at least read this article before you head off to your local auto parts store.<br /><br /> Engine Oil Filter Study

boataholic

Recruit

Everyone that has responded has been VERY helpful. Thanks for all your input. got the new filter and oil changed today by myself for the first time. <br /><br />Thanks!!!! :)

boataholic

Recruit

JB,<br /><br />Thanks for the instruction. Got mixed up on how this site works.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same question -- is there something special about the Merc oil filter. My curiosity caused me to take apart 20 of them, measure them, and send the media off to a lab to do bubble point tests.<br /><br />The Merc mechanics are right -- there IS a difference between the Merc oil filter and an automotive filter. The difference is flow. At 4 and 5000 rpm, the Merc engineers care more about flow than filtration.<br /><br />The short version is these filters flow as good as or better and have an average pore size that is smaller than the Merc filter ):<br /><br />-K&N 3002<br />-Hastings LF279<br />-Purolator Premium Plus LF36341<br /><br />They are listed in reverse cost order: $10, $4.50, and $3.50 respectively.<br /><br />Here is the complete study for the long story:<br /><br />www.OilFilterStudy.com<br /><br />The above filter numbers are for boats with remote mounts, if you don't have a remote mount, you may have the AC Delco PF52 family of filters. The equivalents of the above recommended filters for the PF52 maps are in the above link, specifically here: <br /><br />www.oilfilterstudy.com/marine-applications.htm