3.0 Alternator belt replacement - Amazed by my own stupidity

dirtdevilnc

Cadet
So today I went to swap out my power steering belt and my alternator belt in my 3.0 mercruiser alpha one.
Like an absolute MORON I went and did exactly what this link told me NOT to do.
I absolutely amaze myself after having read this thing this afternoon......

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=482485&page=1

Long story short I loosened the port side engine mounts a bit as well as removed the starboard side mounts completely. I think i must have blacked out momentarily or something. The engine no doubt shifted downwards a bit. When I realized what I did I attempted to put the starboard side mounting bolts back in and realized the bolts did not align, obviously because of my boneheaded mistake. I don't have an engine hoist so i will be off to the dealer most likely to utilize their (expensive) services to lift the engine up to place the bolts back in.

My question is, seeing as how the front side of the engine shifted down slightly will I need to have the engine aligned with the outdrive again ? I can hardly contain my excitement at the prospect of doing that ! :)

Thanks guys and please feel free to laugh at my expense at least someone may get some enjoyment from this scenario ! :facepalm:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: 3.0 Alternator belt replacement - Amazed by my own stupidity

I would certainly suggest aligning it - but can you not get a pry bar under the engine and lift and move it enough to get the front mount back on? Heck, you can even buy a come along and use a big tree branch! Or even a couple if big friends to lift it while you bolt the front mount back on. ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0 Alternator belt replacement - Amazed by my own stupidity

Pull the drive, realign the engine.. You don't have a choice really. If you don't pull the drive now, you will pull the drive so you can replace that expensive coupler.

Read this thread and look at the video's.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2971085