Oil leak from outdrive

Bobsearay200

Cadet
Hi,

I have a Sea Ray 200 4.3 merc with a gen II outdrive. I replaced the impeller, put the lower unit back on and right before I filled the outdrive back up with oil I noticed a leak coming from the back of the outdrive. It looks as if oil is coming out of the shifter lever coupling. If i touch the shifter it seems to leak more. I currently have no oil in the outdrive and I was wondering if it is a fix I can do myself. And where is the oil coming from? there isnt any oil in the outdrive?

Thank for the help!

Bob

Bobsearay200

Cadet
Re: Oil leak from outdrive

First of all, thank you for your help!
Wont be able to pressure test it until the weekend. If I presure test the outdrive, would that pressure get to the shifter lever where I believe the leak is? I guess what I am asking is... do the bell housing and the outdrive share the same oil so presure would get to that point? And is that something I can fix if I pull the outdrive off?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

first remove the drive, then pressure test

if you are getting oil out of the bellhousing shift shaft there is probably gear lube in the u-joint bellows meaning the yoke shaft seal in the drive is leaking

Bobsearay200

Cadet

hope not. I just had a new upper unit put on last year because it burned up. Ill do that this weekend and get back to you. Thanks!

Pete104

Lieutenant

you dropped just the "lower"? You changed the impeller. You didn't install the new upper driveshaft carrier (yellow)?

Bobsearay200

Cadet

Not sure I know what you are talking about. the little orange gasket that allows gear oil to transfer from lower to upper units? yes I did install that.

Bobsearay200

Cadet

ok I still havent done the pressure test but I do have these photos. Please help if you can! Photo 5556 is the picture of the bell housing I think? when I noticed oil dripping from my outdrive originally I noticed coming from the shifter lever. I touched the lever and oil was coming from there I think. i wiped the oil off but when I took the outdrive off, the bottome of that chamber where the shifter lever come out of had oil beaded on it. Is that shifter lever supposed to be water tight? what runs through this chamber anyways? Exsaust?

Photo 5557 is the outdrive. I am pointing to where it seems to be leaking from. Any thoughts. BTW i had a marina put on a new upper unit last year and I didnt see any signs of oil leaking from the upper unit when I pulled the outdrive so I really dont think the oil is coming from the unit but I cant figure out where it would be coming from. I am completely lost.

I will pump oul into it to see if have any oil coming out but I dont think I need to do a pressure test. you tell me!

Also, I layed the outdrive on the ground and oil came out of the hole I am pointing to in photo 5559. I dont know if that tells you anything.

Thanks for all you help!

Attachments

• IMAG0556.jpg
    IMAG0556.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0557.jpg
    IMAG0557.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0559.jpg
    IMAG0559.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a guess, I don't have a gen II, but..........if you have are leaking gear oil into any of the areas in photo 1 and 2, then I think it would have to be an input shaft seal leak. As far as I know, there are three main places drive oil can leak, input shaft seal, quad ring area between upper and lower, and prop shaft seal. This disregards any leaks involving a oil level monitor. If oil is leaking out of the prop shaft seal, it may be getting into other areas causing photo 3. It would also be nice to know, was your oil low before you drained it? Did you notice water in the oil when you drained it?

Bobsearay200

Cadet

pressure test shows a leak coming from the shifter lever on the lower unit. now that doesnt make any sense to me because i know i saw oil coming out of the shifter coupling that attaches above that. any suggestions?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

any suggestions?

replace the shift shaft seal carrier assy and pressure test again, you may find another seal leaking, as stated earlier if you have ever had water in the u-joint bellows, the yoke shaft seal could be suspect

by the looks of your first photo there has been water in the shift slide cavity

Bobsearay200

Cadet

ok, i am ordering the part and I will get back to you with the results. I have some quick questions.
1. gear lever on that lower unit moves up and down a solid 1/8 of an inch and seams to be a bit sloppy. Is that normal?

2. presure test to 12-15lbs?

3. Is the shift lever in the bellhousing that I am pointing to in photo 1 supposed to be water tight? because its not at all.

4. What should I be looking for when inspecting the bellhousing bellows. I felt the gimble barring and it seemed to feel very smooth without any sloppy motions. The bellows had a lot of grease on them but it had a light brown color to much of it. Is that a sign of water or just the grease they used?

Thanks for all the help!

dubs283

Vice Admiral

1. normal

2. 15 + psi for 10 + min, during which you should be rotating the splined shaft and shifting the drive fwd to rev to mimick the drive as it were underway

3. lower part no, upper part yes

4. brown grease = possible wtaer intrusion, look for holes on either sides of the bellows running your fingers along the ribs whith the wheel turned and looking at theoutside of the bellows with a flashlight