OMC 4 cyl, 3.0 Liter prop options

slycer808

Recruit
I just bought a 1988 19' bayliner open bow with a OMC 4 cyl, 3.0 Liter, Cobra outdrive.<br /><br />Being new to boating I recently took a chunk out of my alum. 13 3/4 x 15 prop and am looking at replacing it. If I remember right the boat used to get about 35mph at 4,400 RPM (don't quote me on the RPM, just know when it was at WOT I would be slighty over the 35mph mark).<br /><br />Normally the boat is pretty loaded 4 adults 3 small kids and we do a lot of tubing and water skiing ...<br /><br />QUESTION 1: Should I consider getting something different than the current 13 3/4 x 15 prop. <br /><br />QUESTION 2: I was reading up on the Hustler props would anyone know what prop I should get for my boat to match the 13 3/4 x 15 ... thoughts.<br /><br />QUESTION 3: Anyone have any opinions on Piranha props. http:www.piranha.com

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: OMC 4 cyl, 3.0 Liter prop options

First, Welcome aboard!<br />Before any recommendations are in order, what is the Max wot rpm range suggested from the manufacturer for your engine.<br />Remember this, tachometer is required(to know what the prop is doing for us) and speedometer is optional and usually gets us led in the wrong direction for initial set-up.

check out power tech props 1 800 567 7767 and ask for orlando and tell him bryan sent u u wont be sorry

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

You are right in the sweet spot with your 15" pitch prop right now. Recommended rpm range is 4200 - 4600 rpm. I wouldn't change a thing. Your speed is right in there for your boat/engine combination.<br /><br />I have the same engine and drive and use a 14"dia. x 17" pitch on a smaller 16 ft bowrider. I sometimes use a 13 dia. x 19" pitch stainless, but it suffers a little on take off (hole shot). A 21" would really lug your engine and be out of your recommended rpm range. It would be terrible with the amount of people(weight) and too slow for skiing/tubing.

u might want to think about a 4 blade prop with all the weight it is just a ? props are hard to dial in u got to have a tach

slycer808

Recruit

Thanks all for your advice.<br /><br />- So far it looks like my options are as to give Orlando a call see what is recommended there<br />- Get a stock prop since I would have to agree with cobra 3.0 <br />- Then I'll buy a reserve prop and give the other pitch, blade #, etc. a try. Just got to find a place that will let me experiment a little :) <br /><br />Thanks all for you help, I'll reply back with what I find just in case other people have similar questions