Trim tab anode

specmkr

Seaman Apprentice
Can someone please explain exactly what the purpose of this is. I recently purchased my first boat (Stingray 200LX 4.3L Merc Alpha one) and there was not one on the outdrive. Is this something I should have. I realize it's not a very big investment, but I am having trouble finding one that I believe would work with my prop.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim tab anode

You have an Alpha I Gen II outdrive, which is different from the older style Alpha I that you said you have. Big difference.
Anyway, if you have power steering, then you really don't need the trim tab anode. There are flat plate anodes you can use. If you don't have power steering, you probably notice the drive pulling to one side while running. The trim tab balances the steering.
There are anodes with the trim tab set further back to all room for different props.
Here's what they look like. http://www.iboats.com/Mercury-Marin...66741093--**********.656355232--view_id.39250

specmkr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trim tab anode

Thanks Don S for the information and correction. Still learning this whole boating thing, but having an absolute blast doing so. You guys are great. Didn't figure it was something I needed since it wasn't there.