spark plug routing on 3.0 merc

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
my gfs son replaced the distributor cap on his motor and took all the wires off and cant remember how they go back on

we have the firing order, and i assume they go 1 2 3 4 from front of the motor to the back for the cylinders #'s...but which boss is #1 on the distributor cap??

thanks

bob

Dryon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: spark plug routing on 3.0 merc

Here you go

Attachments

• Mercruiser-Tech Handbook-1997-Engine 3.0L Firing Order.pdf
    30.2 KB · Views: 12

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

thanks, how would you determine which spot on the dist cap is #1??? the one closest to the block????

seems to counter what this picture is saying......but i worry they just print stuff to be representative and not exact!!

wtbpj6.jpg

this was from a diagram for a 3.0 merc....were they different over the years....this is an original motor in a 2008 bayliner

PS i got that diagram after I posted the question from this site....

I am trying to instruct my gfs son via phone today...i hope i dont have him hook it up wrong

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/articles/mercruiser-30L-wiring-diagram.aspx

thanks

bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The picture in the wiring diagram has nothing to do with firing order or location.

Attachments

• 09-02.pdf
    227.9 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

thanks, how would you determine which spot on the dist cap is #1??? the one closest to the block????

Ayuh,... It really don't matter which spot on the cap you start with #1, so long as the rotor is pointing to that terminal at TDC, #1...