1971 140 Mercruiser trim/tilt won't move in or out, where do I add oil?

JoeBush

Recruit
I have a 1971 Glastron V164 Bayflite with a 140 Mercruiser I/O stern drive. I had it winterized at the boat shop last fall. Just getting ready to go out, and trim/tilt won't go up or down. The motor is wailing, and sounds like it is running in and out of fluid. I can't see where to add it. I topped off stern drive oil but that didn't seem to do it.
Can someone help me please?:confused::confused:

NHGuy

Captain
Re: 1971 140 Mercruiser trim/tilt won't move in or out, where do I add oil?

First take a look in the bilge and around the rear of the boat to see if the oil is just squirting out. Your tilt oil doesn't get used up, it gets used over & over.
To answer your question though. There is a reservoir by the trim pump, it should be at the starboard side of the boat - way to the stern. You fill it when the trim is down, with the rams all the way in. If you fill it with the trim raised it will overflow when you lower the drive. Makes an oily mess, I know this, I have the hat and t shirt.

JoeBush

Recruit

Thanks for that info. I found the reservoir, and the fill screw. What type and weight of oil should I use to fill this? My local boat shop said non-detergent 20W oil. Will that do it? Or are there any other substitutes? What is OEM? Mercruiser recommendation?:confused:

ziggy

Admiral

w/o going and looking it up. i believe 20w oil is correct.

i tried to buy some at one point but couldn't find anyone that had 20w...

so i use 30w... so far w/o consequences.. been using it for years too..

Seadog25

Recruit
I've got a 1969 120 Starcraft 16.5 ft. i/o it leaks from the inside of boat. Can't see where it comes from.I see the filler on the pump and filled it with the outdrive down and then when I moved it back up I could hear the fluid coming out, could not see where it came from ,but the bilge is loaded with oil now.

Last edited: