1989 3.0 mercruiser belt

89mercruiser

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, my dad and I fired up the boat last week to dewinterize and all was good. My dad asked me about replacing the belt. We've owned the boat now for about 9 years or so, and in that time it's never been replaced. The motor is an 89 with no power steering. Not sure on hrs since their is no hour meter. The boat gets used an average of 3-4x a month from about june- september october.

To me the belt looked like it was in good shape, but should we replace the belt? I only ask cuz it's been run a lot for an hour or 2 around 3500rpm. No issues with temp or voltage. I read there is a spacer on the front of the motor. Any pics to help show me where it's at and how hard is it to replace the belt on a 3.0 Alpha?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 3.0 mercruiser belt

Should you replace it? I have no clue, I can't see it or inspect it. But if you decide to replace it, here is what you do.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 3.0 belt replace.jpg
    3.0 belt replace.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0

DocR

Cadet

I just replaced the belt on my 79 Sylvan. Buy 2 of the belts you need. Install one, also put the 2nd belt in but tie it of to the side with wire. That way if you ever break a belt you will not have to do all this work again just to get at the belt.

89mercruiser

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, I may suggest it to my dad just for the simple fact of knowing what has been done.

DocR

Cadet

Crank the bolts back onto the spacer block bock at about 40ft pounds.
From the land of 10,00 Lakes, and 3 fish!