Mercruiser 5.0 EFI Expert Tune Up Advice please

Chappy216

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 model 5.0 EFI Mercruiser. Engine serial is 0L641417. Has about 285 hours on engine. I am planning a spring tune-up for just routine maintenance. I havent taken my boat from dry storage yet so it is not where i can look at it today. I would like to gather the parts I need ahead of time before retrieving the boat. I have searched the threads for two hours for some info with alot of returns and not all answers. So, a few questions.

Plan is to:
-Decarbon procedure (please post link or instructions to refresh my memory)
-Replace Spark Plugs, Rotor, Dist Cap. (any other components need changing)
-WHAT are the best plugs to use for replacement and Gap?
-Clean flame arrestor
-Change Fuel filter H20 seperator (may already be done with winterization)

Are there other things that need to be done to this engine besides what is listed above?

Thank everyone for any and all responses!

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 5.0 EFI Expert Tune Up Advice please

when did you last give it an impellor.could go with a new one and change lube for drive and engine at the same time.go around and clean some of the earths up and silicon/vaseline once you have tested it starts and you have the engine oil warm to drain.would initially start to make sure you have no problems before you begin.get grease gun out with your marine grease and give a squirt in the nipples.

Chappy216

Seaman Apprentice

Chappy216

Seaman Apprentice

when did you last give it an impellor.could go with a new one and change lube for drive and engine at the same time.go around and clean some of the earths up and silicon/vaseline once you have tested it starts and you have the engine oil warm to drain.would initially start to make sure you have no problems before you begin.get grease gun out with your marine grease and give a squirt in the nipples.

Did an impellor change last year. Also did lower unit oil and engine oil change with winterization in the fall. Will definitely go with the grease job though.

Chappy216

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I would love for someone to chime in about the specifics of the EFI tuneup. The info in the "Sticky" is about a points ignition system. Any help please??

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I would love for someone to chime in about the specifics of the EFI tuneup

in your first post, you pretty much covered everything that i do for an efi tune-up, the only other items that i would add to the list are plug wires (if more than five years old) and depending on if the ignition is t-bolt, a new ignition sensor (if not the latest OEM style)

i'm not sure what you mean by decarbon procedure, maybe blasting with power tune and letting it sit overnight??

the manual should have a pretty detailed account for when service procedures should be performed and specs for the engine you have

Pete104

Lieutenant

The decarb step refers to outboards. Basically, cleans carbon from combustion chamber.
dubs is right on with shooting power tune thru the throttle body @ an advanced rpm & letting it sit overnight. Kind of a waste with your engine. If you wanna get anal, do the injector cleaning! 1 gallon of gas, new water seperator, 1oz Quickleen, 1oz Marvel Mystery oil. Run that cocktail @ advanced rpm (1500-1700) till empty.
Find quickleen at your dealer!