Mercruiser 140 - Hydraulic valve lifters / valve clearance

mrsaundep

Seaman
Hi,

I am rebuliding the following engine; Mercruiser, MCM 140, Serial number 5568367.

I have refitted the hydraulic valve lifters, push rods, rocker arms, and started to set the valve adjustment as per manual #3 (at TDC, back off nut until lash is felt at push rod, tighten until no lash is felt, [no up and down movement on push rod], then tighten 1 further turn).

When doing this, I have noted that some of the hydraulic valve lifters are solid and it is quite easy to detect then there is no more up and down movement on the push rod, and these adjust up fine, and are still tight after turning the engine over to adjust other cylinders.

However, some of the lifters start to compress (down) as I tighten the nut and it is still possible to move the push rod up and down.

I am not familiar with how the lifters work, do they fill with oil once the engine is running and become "solid"?

If so, my intention to adjust the valves would be to tighten the nut until the lifter is at the point where it is just about to compress, then turn the nut 1 further full turn. I have tried this on the lifters that are compressing, and it seemed to be ok, but after turning the engine over to do the other cylinders, I have noted that these push rods and rocker arms are loose again. It just does not feel right?

Any advise please?

The lifters that are 'solid' cannot be compressed at all yet the ones that do compress can be compressed by pushing down on the push rod without a massive amount of force. Is there something wrong with the lifters?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser 140 - Hydraulic valve lifters / valve clearance

The lifters that are 'solid' cannot be compressed at all yet the ones that do compress can be compressed by pushing down on the push rod without a massive amount of force. Is there something wrong with the lifters?

The lifters that will compress are empty of oil, the ones that won't are still full of engine oil.
Oil doesn't compress very well.