Racor on Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI

cr295

Cadet
Is it wise, acceptable or even necessary to place a racor in front of the "Cool-Fuel 3" water seperating filter that is already on this motor? I'm thinking that with fuel injection and all of the problems found with todays ethanol fuel it would be additional insurance against water getting to the injectors. I am, however, afraid of having too much restriction on fuel flow by doing this?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Racor on Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI

Is it wise, acceptable or even necessary to place a racor in front of the "Cool-Fuel 3" water seperating filter that is already on this motor?

Ayuh,... It's already Got a filter...
Adding another, is another place for a vacuum leak...

cr295

Cadet
Re: Racor on Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI

Thanks, good point!

My mechanic suggested putting one on but I questioned the possible fuel flow resistance issue. I didn't factor in all the additional points of potential failure this would add. Keep it simple, right?

The other thing I didn't mention and the whole reason for my serious consideration of a Racor was the fact that I had some ethanol/water issues last season that shut the motor down cold. Getting to a remote racor would be much easier than getting past the hot manifolds to the engine mounted one.

I think I have the water problem licked now. I found a bad o-ring on filler. Hopefully (crossing fingers) this should be a non issue this season.